Repaint Question

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
I made this Genesis Platinum Fankengrill a couple of years back and this year I noticed the black paint on the lid did not hold up as well as I would have liked. Do you all think it was due to the lack of multi coats of paint?

1000 Lid.jpg

I’m only speculating, but an acetone wipe might’ve prevented this. Sandblasting alone doesn’t guarantee a clean surface.

I repainted a set of end caps a couple years ago that I stripped all the paint off of and then wiped down liberally with brake cleaner. I used the lid and by the end of the summer most of the paint had failed for some reason. I know I must have done something wrong but I have no idea what it was.

I do about 3 coats of Rustoleum HH Ultra on my end caps after having them blasted. I haven't had a customer complain in the last 6 years of doing rehabs. Of course, it is aluminum, so at least you don't have to worry about rust.

So how should I approach this?
1.Should I use a wire wheel
2.Should I just use sandpaper?
3 or should I just clean it and go on and paint over the existing paint.

I do not want to Sand Blast it all over again. What do yall suggest is the best coarse of action?
I will be using Rustoleum High Heat Ultra Semi-Gloss Black.

Lid Repaint pic 1.jpgLid Repaint pic 2.jpgLid Repaint pic 3.jpgLid Repaint pic 4.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I am pretty sure that a good paint thinner would strip it easily. I have one other suggestion for refinishing it if you really want something very much like the original finish. Have it powder coated with high heat stuff. I had my personal grill done with it (Another stainless platinum framed grill). It is much more durable than the Rustoleum or other grill spray paints and it wasn't all that expensive. Just too expensive to consider for rehabs.

Samuel: Yah, so does my sand blasting guy. Just make sure you ask him about HIGH HEAT.
Most sand blasting outfits have powder coating as their primary business. Any one searching for a sand blaster should search for powder coating. That is how I finally found the guy in my area.

Bruce my Guy mainly does powder coating also. He does a lot of trailers, that is what he told me and there are many trailers here in Texas.:)

Back