Removing the gland from Pork Butt

Rick M.

TVWBB Member
Howdy all,
I've just purchased two boneless butts, cryovac packed, and was wondering how hard it is to find and remove the gland that might be there. All I've found is it's an inch from the surface. Is it obvious? The other butts I've done smoked were prepped by the butcher... Thanks in advance!

i've never heard of any gland in pork butts either. how much did your butcher charge you to remove this gland?
icon_razz.gif

Gland?

I'm with Brian, How much did your butcher charge you?

Find a new butcher!

By the way, I have a bridge in N.Y. for sale!

Are you sure you don't mean the false cap?

If there is a gland somewhere in there, I've never found it. But I'm just the cook.

Gland?

I'm with Brian, How much did your butcher charge you?

Find a new butcher!

By the way, I have a bridge in N.Y. for sale!

He asked a simple question. Nothing wrong with trying to learn, and checking on the forum to see. If you all think a question is funny/stupid, pass on over it. Last thing I want is new, or even Vets here to stop asking questions to learn more, or so I can learn more.
Didn't mean to just call you out on it, just didn't want to take the time to do all the quotes.
Sorry if I'm over stepping my bounds here Chris, just my opinion.

Rick,
I have never heard of this gland before, so I would call/visit the butcher and ask him for specifics on what they are talking about. Post back with his answer, or whoever told you this, I'm curious.

I have never seen any glands or lymph nodes in any butts I have cooked, but that doesn't mean you might not run across one...

From the BBQ FAQ, Section 11, General Questions about Barbecue
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/11.html

[I smoked a pork butt today and as I was pulling it, I saw this nasty looking veiny thing next to the bone. What was that and should I throw out the butt?]

Paul Ferguson--

That nasty-looking thing you found was an infected or enlarged lymph node. Just remove it and enjoy the rest of the meat. Next time, look at your meat a little closer before cooking. If you see any little gray/green egg-shaped balls about the size of your thumbnail remove them. These are lymph glands.

Rick

I see no problem with your question. Welcome to the forum.

I learned something new today.

Rick
The Smoke Hunters BBQ.

That was interesting. I guess I've skipped over the part about looking for extras while preping. Thank's for the question...tom

Yea, I cut meat for quite a while and there is a gland on each and every pork butt. Now days the packer probably does remove them, but I just made some sausage with butts from Costco and found a gland on one of them. No big deal. Its located opposite of the "face cut" side on the tapered side.

Welcome rick, and thanks for shedding some more light on this topic.

I wish I had a bone-in butt in front of me, I can't quite visualize exactly where to look for the gland.

Maybe someone could post a picture of the approximate location? I looked in the Cooking section, and couldn't find anything appropriate.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You think George Jones is one of the apostles.

Suddenly pondering how many I've eaten in my 4 years of this hobby. Writing a not-so-nice letter to Al Gore for his role in resurrecting this thread from 2006. In the meantime, I'll follow the "why stop now" approach.

I had no idea about it. I've been cooking them for 5 or 6 years and never really been that particular about trimming butts. Good to know!

Back