Remove Rib Membrane, or Not

Joe L

TVWBB Member
As a relative newbie to BBQ, I find that just when I think I know what I'm doing, something comes along to make me wonder just what I do know.

The other day I was reading a thread here about commercial rubs and saw a lot of positive comments about the Texas BBQ Rub. So, I went to the Texas BBQ Rub website to learn more. On the website, they say "Revealed Here, Barbecue Cooking Secrets, BBQ Tips, and BBQ Recipes... You Can Use Tonight!". So, I signed up to get the secrets. They email them to you.

The latest tip email I received recommends leaving the membrane on the ribs if you are going to cook the ribs low and slow. The tip goes on to say that the juices of the rbis are held in the meat by the membrane. Further, with a low and slow cook, the membrane will tear apart on its own. The author says its a waste of time to remove the membrane if you're going to do a low and slow cook.

The author does say that if you're going to grill ribs, you probably want to remove the membrane.

I have been removing the membrane whenever I cook ribs. Have I been wasting my time?

Joe, read the same article. For everyone who says do it there are those that don't. My suggestion (which I'm going to try) is do it yourself and you decide

I am a retired (retarded????) High School Teacher and one problem in Education is the Internet - anyone can put up a spiffy website (or send email) and make any kind of claim that they choose to make. How is a kid to know what to believe?

How is a Newbie to know - ask your friends here. I agree with the Pauls - I pull the membrane but you should try it both ways then see what Joe likes best.

not to beat a dead horse here, but I do exactly what the last post (Tony) does.....absolutely remove that stuff!!

I actually have tried it both ways on the same cook and you can definatly tell that the membrane is still there, very yucky imho.

I've read a few of Texas BBQ Rub's e-mails and have found myself scratching my head afterwards. The not remove the membrane comment in the latest one really had me wondering. The writer makes it sound like the issue is controversial (like the fat up/fat down debate), but he is the first guy I've ever heard of suggesting that you not remove the membrane. I say take it off.

FYI, at my KCBS judge certification class, they pointed out that a rib with the membrane on will be chewy and harder to get a clean bite off of.

So true, Erik.

On another board not long ago, I read dozens of excuses why commercial joints 'don't have time' (or some such) to remove the membrane because of the quantity they do. Garbage. It is so easy and, commercially speaking, it is VERY easy as one does it so often over and over that one works up a rhythm.

Try it both ways to see what you prefer--fine. But let's call a spade a spade: if you like it--okay, fine (but do you think your customers or guests will?); and if you don't, then why aren't you taking the time to make your ribs better?

I have alwys removed the membrane. While I'm a huge fan of the Texas BBQ rub and I have a great deal of respect for Bill Cannon and his rubs, I do not agree with him on this. I do his quick method, i.e. wosty sauce, rub and on the smoker it goes, but the membrane must go IMO.
icon_wink.gif

Well, I may be the only one but...sometimes I like to eat the membrane. Especially if it's covered in rub and you've finished the ribs over high heat and made it nice and crunchy. Low and slow it stays rubbery and I don't like it.

In my experience removing the membrane or leaving it makes absolutely no difference in the flavor of the rib or how it cooks. What it does do is create a different texture sensation. I think it all depends on what type of experience you are looking for.

Personally, I like a simple and neat experience. I trim all of my ribs tips, skirt meat and end meat off. I also remove the membrane. When I sauce it is ever so lightly with a paintbrush. The outcome I am looking for is a flavorful rib that includes nothing more than the meat and a single bone. I don't want the rough texture of the membrane, nor do I want to bite the tip of the rib and have to spit out a bunch of small bones. I don't want that extra piece of skirt meat or side meat getting in the way. I don't want sauce dripping everywhere and my face and hands covered in the sauce.

My objective is to produce a clean rib covered with meat. It sounds complicated, but it really is quite simple. I want nothing to detract from the experience of eating and tasting that rib. NOTHING!

Back