Removal of bolts that secure the burners/valve bracket? (During burner replacement.)

RobM in So Cal

Hello, I ended up buying the Weber replacement burners from HD #7508. They look good and came with extra bolts, nuts and lock washers. After removing the original burners which looked ok but had leaks near the burner ports for the cross tube, I attempted to remove the bolts (right side of box, securing the valve bracket to box) but they would not budge. Tapped a few times with a hammer and then tried to rotate them with a ratchet but did not want to put too much stress on the box. No go? I also scraped around the bolts with a utility knife. I was going to use liquid wrench penetrating spray but solvent around cooking areas doesn't seem like a good idea. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas that will help or should I just leave them and put anti seize on the existing threads? I am going to swap out the opposite box mounting bolt as Bruce recommended in another thread but I think all of these bolts are probably in the same condition. Thanks beforehand.

Last edited:
Rob, As per the other thread you asked this question in:
If you are talking about the bolts that hold down the end of the burner tubes on the "Left" side of the fire box, they are not designed to be removed. They are simply place holders.

If you are talking about the manifold bolts on the right side, you best bet is penatrating oil on the nuts. It could very well be that they will not come off and you will have to simply twist them off and then remove the bolt from the cook box by drilling them out of carefully pounding them out. If there are actual nuts on the outside, then an impact wrench is a good bet to break them loose, but if you have wing nuts, that won't work.

If you are refereeing to the bolts that hold the burners in place inside the firebox DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THEM OR TIGHTEN THEM THEY WILL SNAP OFF.
Just slide the new burners underneath the bolt heads. They are just to keep the burners in place.

Thanks for the replies, I should have been more clear in my description. The nuts that hold the manifold bracket (right side of box) came off easily but the bolts would not come out. The #7508 kit came with extra bolts, lock washers and nuts. I am pretty sure they were supplied to replace the existing manifold bolts. As of right now I will just put new nuts and lock washers on but leave the bolts. However I would really like to replace them, it seems they are supplied for a reason.

Can you remove the manifold? If so forget the bolts in the box. Just use the new nuts on the old bolts. Do NOT hammer on anything though. Yeah you MIGHT get lucky and cause no damage, but then again you might not and shatter the fire box. Try putting some photos up

Those bolts are fine. Leave them in. I am not so sure that they are not fused in at the factory like the bolts to hold the burners on the other end. At any rate, I get several cook boxes where they seem to be frozen it and I just leave them. The bolts are stainless I am pretty sure because they are never real rusty, so just leave them and use them as is. It makes it a lot easier to mount the manifold back on anyway.

Back