Remote thermometer min/max settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe. P

TVWBB Member
Just wondering what everyone sets there max/min temp at for overnighters . say for a 225 – 250 target temp

Hiya JPP and welcome.

My ET-73's not here yet and my polder only has a High temp setting. I set it for 250. I take my readings from the top grate.

I would think that you answered your own question. I would probably set mine for 225-250 unless one of the gurus here would tell me different.

Depends how often you want to wake up. I usually go 190 on the downside. The meat should still be cooking nicely at that temp. If it does drop, I can get it back up fairly quick by stirring the coals.

On the high end, I want it a little tighter, about 260. If it's spiking for some reason, may be harder to get it down if you let it go too much.

The bottom line is, if you've gotten it stable before going to bed, and there aren't any freak weather happenings, the alarm shouldn't go off. If you're like me, you'll wake up a couple of times and check it anyway... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm right with John W on the high side -- but I don't like letting the temp drop that far. I peg it at about 220. My ET-73 doesn't have the range to reach to my bedroom (although after reading about some other folks' results I may take that up with the good people at Maverick), so I end up waking up fairly often anyway, just to check it.

I like to cook in the 225-250 range for overnighters. Since plus or minus 5 degrees seems reasonable, I've set the ET-73 at 220 for the low end & 255 for the high.

I just used mt ET-73 this past weekend for the first time on an over noght smoke. I couldn't get any readings inside my house even under 10 feet from the smoker. I had to prop it on the outside windowsill by the palyrooma nd sleep on the couch. The alarm did go off about 6:15am for a low temp alarm. That part worked, the distance bites!!! I called Maverick and they told me how to return it, but I wanted to talk with someone more techinical before doing that. The tech guy is onyl there between 7am-3pm eastern so I missed him today. I'll get him tomorrow.

Enough complaining...I set the lo/hi for 200/260.

I have only had two overnighters so far, both times I set it 210/260. Both times the low alarm woke me up around 6:30.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just used mt ET-73 this past weekend for the first time on an over night smoke. I couldn't get any readings inside my house even under 10 feet from the smoker. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had about the same problem. Mine would work through a window with line of sight to the transmittter about 8 feet away. Talked to a tech guy at Maverick and they are sending me a new receiver.

When I used my ET-73 for overniters, I set for 215-255. It wouldn't receive from my bedroom nitestand, but would from the next room by my coffee table, so I put it on that. I could easily hear the alarm when it went off, so no big deal. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back