Reliable source for lump

Milt DuCharme

TVWBB Fan
The local Wal-Mart here in Bloomington, Indiana has stopped carrying Royal Oak products, neither lump or briquettes. I would like to find a reliable source for lump within 50 mile radius of Bloomington.

I'm certainly not from your area, but I'll give you some info' which will likely apply. None of the big box stores here carry the RO lump. I was directed by the board to check with Gordon's Food Service, but they are only in the mid west - might help you. A Best Value (?) independent hardware store here carries it, but at a pretty good (bad) price - about $13.50 for a 20 lb bag. You'll probably find it where you are in that type of store.

Paul

Milt,

Do check with Gordon Food Service, they carry Royal Oak Lump for $9 and some change for a 20# bag and they also carry Nature Glo Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes for $5 for 10#.

Both are excellent products and I use them almost exclusively now.

Here in NJ (near Philadelphia), I have found 2 sources - fuel oil companies. They sell all types of fuel including coal and lump charcoal. They are the only places where I have found 20 lb bags of Humphrey's and Royal Oak (each $9.50/bag). You might try checking with fuel companies in your area, you might get lucky.

Mike,

Could you please post your 2 sources for lump? I'm in Glassboro, NJ and have been looking for a source of lump.

Thanks
Vic

Here in NJ, Home Depot sells boxes of Char-Broil (New Braunfels) lump charcoal at a halfway decent price.

Vic,

Here are the 2 places. I go to Smith & Boyd - Bell Charcoal is in Manayunk, I had just called them for prices & availability (they also sell for $9.50/20 lbs).

Both are Mom n Pop type operations, make sure you call first to check their hours and verify that they have what you want in stock.

Smith & Boyd
1901 E Lehigh Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19125-1196
(215) 739-6700

Bell Charcoal Corp
11 Shurs Ln
Philadelphia, PA 19127-2113
215 482-1805

Mike

Here's a place you can find Humphrey Lump. It's pretty good stuff.

Pottstown Roller Mills
625 Industrial Highway
Pottstown, PA 19464
Phone (610) 323-8620

MikeZ

Anyone know of a source for lump in Monmouth County, NJ (NJ Shore)? Home Depot and Lowes are just not cutting it.

I checked with the GFS closest to me in Greenwood and they only carry briquettes. That means I will probably be trying Royal Oak briquettes in the near future.

I happened to stop by Lowe's today, noticed they had some big stacks of Cowboy lump at a good price (8 lbs/$4.99).

It's not the top-ranked (Cowboy review)but it's OK basd on the bag that I used.

Problem temporarily solved. The Super Wal-Mart in Martinsville, about 25 miles from me, had 290 lbs. of Royal Oak lump left. I bought it all. That will last about two years. In the meantime I tried a bag of Royal Oak briquettes. At the end of an overnight butt cook the ash was up to the charcaol grate. I prefer lump.
Thank you to all who replied.

Back