Reheating Pulled Pork on Stovetop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
I have read the site and searched the forum. It seems that the most common methods of reheating pork are:

microwave
boil-in bags
200-250 degree oven

I do not own a microwave (yes I have A/C, color TV and indoor plumbing), do not vacuum seal (so cannot boil-in bag), and heating the oven to reheat seems like a waste (not to mention heats up the kitchen which is one benefit to cooking outdoors).

I have always just reheated on the stovetop. Medium heat, a little sauce and apple juice. Stir often and in 10 minutes (or so) you're done.

I have never used any of the other methods. Am I doing myself an injustice? Since the oven is my only other choice, the stovetop seems like such a quicker heating method. Is this just wrong?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... the stovetop seems like such a quicker heating method. Is this just wrong? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi Rob, I haven't tried reheating this way myself, but whatever floats your boat... If you think it's great it IS great.
icon_smile.gif
Personally I like the microwave or a crockpot with a little sauce.

Just had an idea though, what about steaming it over some Carolina vinegar sauce or juice? I'm gonna try it at supper tomorrow.

Leftover pork tastes good when you put it in a freezer bag, get as much of the air out as you can before sealing it and then put it in the freezer. Reheat with boiling water. The freezer bag holds up during the reheating process.

I havent had too much luck reheating PP in the oven. I dont yet have a foodsaver (Xmas) so I cant place in boiling water. The best way I have found is to zap it in the microwave for 2 minutes with a loose fitting lid. Heats up QUICK.

Shawn , I don't steam it but when I reheat mine I like to use a little carolina vinegar sauce diluted with some water and a little rub. Then I cook it on the stove until most of the liquid cooks out. I just add enough to add a hint of flavor, but if someone needs more sauce they can still add it, but I find that enough for my taste usually. Though sometimes I do add a little more vinegar sauce to my own sandwich.

I agree with Mike. The pulled pork doesn't have to be in foodsaver bags to reheat using the boiling water technique. The last batch I did, I portioned out the leftovers in zipper lock "snack bags", the kind that are designed for small kids' lunch items. They are about 6" long x 3.5" deep. I stuffed enough pulled pork in each one to make about 2 sandwiches, pushed all the air out, sealed them, and placed them all inside a larger freezer bag. Whenever I needed a sandwich (or 4), I just pulled out 1 or 2 of the bags and drop into boiling water for about 10 to 14 minutes, comes out perfect. The only glitch is you have to make sure the bags are completely sealed or else water could concievably leak in, but I never had that problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
...Personally I like the microwave or a crockpot with a little sauce.

Just had an idea though, what about steaming it over some Carolina vinegar sauce or juice? I'm gonna try it at supper tomorrow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh yeah, I just recently got the foodsaver (FS) and have yet to try any FS baggies in boiling water with frozen pulled pork. I did smoke 6 chickens, FS and freeze. Take out in the morning and leave on the counter, throw the FS baggie in boiling water for about 20 minutes. Works great. But I digress.

I tried steaming. Used 1/4C Carolina vinegar sauce 1/4C water to steam an individual serving of previous day's pulled pork that was in the fridge.

First off, I don't think I could taste the Carolina vinegar. I will have to try it full strength to confirm I'm not gonna benefit from steaming with it.

I steamed it just long enough to get it hot. It was great. It was moist yet ... was it lacking a bit of fat, did it seem leaner? Not really sure. Tomorrow night I'll have more time and maybe I can do a side by side of steamed and microwaved (my usual method).

It certainly wasn't BAD ... give it a try with a small amount and see what ya think. If the steam does drive off some of the fat maybe this would be a good way to reheat BBQ that seems too fatty.

Microwave reheated and steamed reheated pulled pork side by side tonight and I preferred the steamed.

I did an individual serving of each. For the steamed I used only water. Placed in pan on medium, when it started to boil I threw the steamer on top, put the lid on and turned it down to about 1/3. Only took a couple of minutes and I removed it right away.

It didn't seem leaner but the microwave stuff seemed dryer, wispy pieces sort of fry a bit.

Thing that might be 'cool' about this is to keep the pork over the hot water (keep steamer assembled) and plunk it on the table to keep the meat hot.

I wonder how a larger batch would fare?

Been fun, as far as stovetop heating goes I'd suggest you give steaming a try Rob.

I have used the boiling method and the microwave method. Spray with some apple juice then put it in the microwave on high for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Keeps it moist and doesn't fry it.

Rob does not have a microwave though Bruce. I thought to myself 'does it make sense to apply direct heat to a product painstakenly indirectly cooked for 10+ hours?'. Wondered if a gentle steam might be a better way for stovetop reheating.

I was using the microwave myself but I'm going to keep trying the steam reheating method with larger batches and see how they turn out since I liked the results and Rick confirmed I'm not completely off my rocker.
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back