Reheating frozen pulled pork

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hello,

I am doing some pulled pork today for a party next saturday. I will be putting the pulled pork into regular ziplock freezer bags. What is the best way to go about reheating the pork? I ready about the boiling water thing with the bags, but don't know if it is safe to do that with a ziplock bag.

Often it isn't - simply because you cannot trust the seal holding.

Thaw the pork first then reheat in roasting pans, lightly moistened (if you didn't use a finishing sauce), covered well, in a 300 oven, stirring after 25 min then every 15 min thereafter, till the pork reaches serving temp - 145-155.

[Please be sure that you do not pack warm or hot pork into the bags. Cool to at least room temp first before placing in bags. Do not pack thickly - no more than an inch thick once flattened out.]

Originally posted by BradyB:
Hello,

I am doing some pulled pork today for a party next saturday. I will be putting the pulled pork into regular ziplock freezer bags. What is the best way to go about reheating the pork? I ready about the boiling water thing with the bags, but don't know if it is safe to do that with a ziplock bag.
I reheat small portions in the microwave and large portions in the oven. I've tried boiling Foodsaver bags and it comes out rubbery if you don't take it out soon enough.

I usually reheat in an oven at 350 with the meat wrapped in foil. Works fine but slow.

Last time I made brisket, I heated up the leftovers in the microwave, covered with a wet paper towl. This worked great! The meat heated up well and retained moisture from the wet towel. That wil be my new technique from now on.

Originally posted by Charles Howse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Do not pack thickly - no more than an inch thick once flattened out.]

Kev,
Why no more than an inch thick? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So that continued cooling can happen relatively quickly.

One of the worst things to do - food safety-wise - is handle warm or hot food (as one does when pulling pork) then pack it thickly and fridge it. Opens the door to Staph growth (and is why so many food borne illnesses occur in the late spring and summer picnic and cook-out months; it's not undercooked food that's the problem, it is warm food that is handled and then improperly cooled).

If you want to pack thickly to save fridge/freezer space, cool well first, pack ahallowly into pans then fridge till cold. Then transfer to bags or containers in whatever thickness you wish and fridge or freeze.

Cherry buster post..

What if you don't freeze it? I'm going to cook 6-8 butts on a Sat night/Sun morning for a party the following Sat. I had planned on storing in ziplock bags then warming in boiling water the day of the party.

Good/bad idea? Does it need frozen? Other options/opinions?

Thanks for all your help, now and in the past.

kevin

I've been lucky with using Ziploc freezer bags to reheat pulled pork in hot water. I've been buying the Ziploc bags with the double pressure seal, NOT the ones with the sliding zipper. I don't trust them for that use.

As Kevin suggests, don't pack the meat too thickly, and add a little moisture to the bag--a moistening sauce such as Kinda Carolina Sauce or chicken broth.

Rita

Thanks for the tips. I think I will put it all in a tray, add some apple juice, cover with foil and reheat in the oven. We'll see how it turned out though. Some of it (the bigger ones) was somewhat hard to pull, but most of it just came right apart.

Back