Reheating and holding brisket

Brian Merz

TVWBB Member
I am smoking a couple of butts and a brisket this Saturday night for my daughters birthday, like all of you I have been asked to make a extra brisket for my co-workers to serve on Monday. I want to slice when it is done and bring to work but have no way to reheat outside of a microwave, not the best way.
My idea is to take the sliced brisket in a foil pouch heat it up before I go in and put into a cooler wrapped in blankets. My problen is there is about 6 hours from reheat to lunch. I know a whole packer would last and stay hot no problem but what about sliced? Will reheating in the foil in the oven to about 170ish and that long of a hold turn it to mush? Should I cook the brisket a little underdone and hope for the best? Any help from the WSM gurus would be great help.

Brian, what I would do is slice at work after it is warm, but since you don't want to do that here is what I would do with sliced, cooked brisket. I would vacuum seal it with auju or any liquid that you like. When you want to serve heat as large a bowl of water to boiling in the micrwave. Remove bowl from micro. Have a cover for the bowl. put the vacuum pak of brisket in the hot water. Better if the meat is at room temp. The meat will heat in the water without drying out. When you open the pouch you will have moist meat ready to eat. Assuming of course that it was moist when it went in the bag.

Mark

If you are left no choice, spritz the slices with water before waving them. It will add some moisture and steam.

I agree with MK. I've always used my FoodSaver to pack the brisket after slicing it. Except for the bark losing it's crunch, the brisket comes out as moist as the day you smoked it.

Back