Rehash on knife sharpener

I guess I’m old school.

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Stone Pro Sharpening Stone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OWD218/?tag=tvwb-20
I have a stone like that but am not very skilled using it. The work sharp Mk2 is my easy button.
A lot of people like the paper test. Nothing wrong with it. I just prefer the tomato. :)
I use the tomato test too and if a knife fails the test it's set aside to be sharpened so I'm usually sharpening at least 2 at a time.

A lot of people have given the 130 a poor review because of stage #2.
I don't know if it's because of my fast pass through stage 3 after stage 2 that makes it work well for me or if I just don't know sharp, lol. But I am going to buy a tomato (but only one because I don't eat them).

Regarding the manual: it takes a little bit of a careful read to follow their recommended steps accurately, IMO. I had to highlight and take notes.

1679512579380.png

My kids dull my knives 2x a week.
tell them to stop slaughtering the neighborhood coyotes or bobcats.

i hone my knives before using them and have to sharpen to set the edge around 2x a year.

unless your edge is being destroyed, all you need to do is align the teeth for a clean cut.

i've owned my Zwilling knife set since 1994. i do have 3 chef's knives of which the 6.5" is used most, then the 8" (wusthof, gift from a good friend) and then the 10" for larger jobs.

I'm happy my kids are helping in the kitchen, and keeping knives sharp is just a cost of doing business. I need to reserve one 8 inch chef knife for me and only me.

I don't know if it's because of my fast pass through stage 3 after stage 2 that makes it work well for me or if I just don't know sharp, lol. But I am going to buy a tomato (but only one because I don't eat them).

Regarding the manual: it takes a little bit of a careful read to follow their recommended steps accurately, IMO. I had to highlight and take notes.

View attachment 67957
Yep! That's it! I tried that and bottom line is, I just didn't like the Stage 2 thing. Maybe I'm not doing it right. I dunno. Lots of people have had trouble with this and you can see their complaints in the one star reviews on Amazon. For me, Stage 1 followed by stage 3 works just fine. :)

My wife is hard on knifes, which is strange because she worked OB as a tech who handed off sharp instruments.
I keep my carbon steel ones downstairs and brought her a SS set with a built in sharpener.
I got it for a c-note at Sam's club on sale.
My wife does not touch my Asian knives at all. Which is just fine. I keep her Western knives nice and sharp for her - she's happy. Happy wife - happy life.

My wife is hard on knifes, which is strange because she worked OB as a tech who handed off sharp instruments.
My buddy, mentioned above, his ex-MiL is a retired ER nurse. She has some of the dullest knives in existence in her kitchen, and I've never been able to wrap my tiny little mind how she wants those knives in her kitchen, and she'd be offended at trying to hand one of those to a surgeon.

On a side note, as the world is getting smaller.... when I first met her (well before he married into the family,) they were a few hundred miles away. Now, this woman lives less than 3 miles from the house where I grew up, and quilts with one of my sisters.

Made an impulsive Amazon buy the other day: 4-in-1 Kitchen Knife Accessories: 3-Stage Knife Sharpener Helps Repair, Restore, Polish Blades and Cut-Resistant Glove (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WWFZY6/?tag=tvwb-20

Not that we don't have 3-4 of these type sharpeners...but the Michael Jackson glove included sealed the deal for me...that and 27K 4+ star reviews 😉. Worth a shot for $13.

When I bought that set of "German Steel" Chinese knives a while back as a reward for buying and giving them a nice review they gave me one of those. MEH

Back