Rehabbing a grill for personal use

T Lucas. You are on the right track for sure. If you do everything you say, you should have no problems with that grill for another ten years at least. Just regular cleaning and that grill won't need a thing until 2030. Maybe a new igniter if anything. And I bet you can't cook any better with the new $500 Weber than you can with that bullet proof Silver B. Buy a rotisserie for it with some of the savings.

Same here TLucas. I also think the old grills are better. The 2007 through 2017 models had severe rust issues in the cabinets. The newer models are still to be seen. But they feel flimsy compared to the old ones. Just lift the lid of a new Genesis. It is like a feather weight compared to the lids of the old grills.
For very little money you can always fix up the old ones. Either with new and used parts. Lots of donor grills out there.
I kind of finance my crazy grill builds with refurbishing and reselling these old ones. May be at a ratio of 3 x 2. Meaning I get 2 grills out of every 3 grills. Here and there I have to buy some new parts.

I went way overboard with my Silver B two years ago. I went through all the posts and pages here for the gas grills 😆
I then spent at least $350 to $400 on it, new burners, manifold, flavor bars, grates, all ss screws, paint, igniter, etc.
That was crazy, i got few more Silver B since, restored another for brother in law and have few more in parts. I dont regret doing it, only thing i dont like about the Silver B which all seem to have, there is too much smoke at times that comes out from both left and right sides.

Just rehabbed my 2002 Silver C. Replaced all the gas parts and flavorizer bars, cleaned (not "restored) everything on the inside, and let her rip. It doesn't look new and the inside definitely looks like it's had a lot of use, but everything that touches food or contributes to cooking is new except the grill grates and they are pressure washed stainless steel. If I was going to "restore" it, I would do a lot more but it does a good job for me as it is. Plus, I don't use it much.

I degrunged a 2007 LP Genesis 320 for my son for Christmas. Totally disassembled the grill. Wirebrushed firebox and then Simple Green BBG Grill Cleaner. Cleaned all sheetmetal parts with Fabuloso and fine steel wool and then soap and water. Wire brushed the burners, lubed the valve stems, cleaned the hood with fabuloso, fine steel wool followed by soap and water. Fabuloso and fine steel wool on the stainless surfaces. Cleaned the drip pan by heating it up in my grill, same with the Cast Iron grates that just needed some wire grate brushing. Converted, from tank hose/regulator to a 3/8 quick disconnect (he has low pressure bulk propane). Reassemble it at his house and didn't lose a washer! Out here rust in the enclosed base cabinets isn't an issue since it rains so little. Only new parts were the warming tray, and a new cover. He loved it! Now I know how to disassemble and maintain my identical grill except it is NG.

What do you mean exactly about too much smoke coming out of the sides?

All the Silver B that i have seen there is too much smoke coming from under the sides, from under the hood side. Smoke comes where the cookbox and hood meet, it comes from under the hood and curls up so to speak. There should be very little or no smoke coming out at the side. Should be at the back only. I have seen this on at least 4 or 5 Silver B. My Broilking never did that.
I have a 1000 and does the same. I checked the boxes and hoods they all were in good shape, no bent parts or anything like that. The newer 310 does not have this issue.
I think is a design flaw from weber.

All the Silver B that i have seen there is too much smoke coming from under the sides, from under the hood side. Smoke comes where the cookbox and hood meet, it comes from under the hood and curls up so to speak. There should be very little or no smoke coming out at the side. Should be at the back only. I have seen this on at least 4 or 5 Silver B. My Broilking never did that.
I have a 1000 and does the same. I checked the boxes and hoods they all were in good shape, no bent parts or anything like that. The newer 310 does not have this issue.
I think is a design flaw from weber.

I am sorry but I think you're just a little nutty here. Smoke will come out depending on what you're doing and or cooking with the grill. It can get especially heavy if you're doing something "wrong" as well. It's definitely not a design flaw.

When I "smoke" something in my genesis 1000, most of the smoke will exit through the back. Some with come out the front and sides, but not nearly as much as the back. If it is windy, it will sometimes cause smoke to billow out the sides and front more as the winds change/increase. But, again, the vast majority exits the back.

Here is a Beef Brisket I was smoking/bbqing last year and you can see all the smoke is exiting the back.

ZYkIlV0.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Mine is definitely worst than that. There is no way i can sit in front of the grill while the hood is down. I will be surounded by smoke. It reminds me of the cheap charcoal grills i used to have where smoke comes from three sides, two sides and back.

Well, I would check to make sure the hood is actually going down all the way in the front and that something isn't out of whack on the lid.

Where and how smoke exits a grill is very dependent on air currents where the grill is installed. If I get a north breeze it blows right into the back opening of the grill changing flow and exit of smoke and such. Pushing it out the front a little and out the sides. This is not a "defect" in design. Smoke and heat HAVE to exit the grill somehow or the grill will either melt down or the food will be ruined by the taste of burned food residue and over smoking which makes it taste like the inside of a chimney or an exhaust fan hood. Not "Good Eats". Just change your grills orientation

Don't know about the Silver B, but on the older Genesis, the wall at the back of the firebox is lower by a half inch or so than the sides. The bottom of the lid is the same at the back and sides, so the smoke should come out the back unless as mentioned the wind is blowing into the back of the grill.

Cheers,
Gerry

Back