Rehabbers, lend me your eyes

Yah, I hate it when sellers for anything do that. Sometimes, that is all the put in is a stock photo. Just like when the fail to highlight key parts of grills in their photos like the cooking grates or the inside of the cabinet, they are hiding something.

There's a seller on Boston Craigslist advertising what appears to be a Genesis 2000 for..... EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/app/d/vintage-weber-genesis-grill-3/6593762232.html

"Vintage Iconic Weber Genesis Original. Fully restored with 3 coats of paint in addition to Gloss. Features Mahogany Wood with Fresh Polyurthane Finish.

Has new Burner Tubes & Igniter. Cast Iron Cooking Grates in excellent condition. Flavor bars are in good condition as well.

Offering free delivery and setup in the NE area including RI MA, CT, & NH.

If you plan on offering $500 this is not the grill for you. The restoration was a 20 hour job, and costly.

I strongly suggest you do your research on these old Weber's and compare them to the New models currently being offered. The quality here is far superior to the new generation.

Please feel free to send me any inquiries.

Thank you! :)"

I mean it's nice, but not $800 nice. I see the Z-bars having been painted hastily in pictures 6 and 9, and I see fingerprints in the paint on pic 8. I'm not even sure if it's $500 nice.

Just in case the ad disappears, here are the pics:

#6:
00V0V_hylcKwP8tJg_1200x900.jpg

#8:
00101_kLCJkwHw2cu_1200x900.jpg

#9:
01515_3t6xroLpps0_1200x900.jpg

My apologies if the seller is a member here (but I don't believe anyone here would charge that much).

I was going to buy a restored grill from this guy a while back. He is from Exeter, RI. Absolutely hack workmanship. Frame repaired with JB Weld and many of the parts completely clapped out. When he brought it to my driveway, I told him to turn around and forget about it. He offered to lower the price and I just said "no, forget it ... here's $10 for gas, now go."

BTW, he is now selling this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Genesis-Vintage-Grill-w-Mohaganey-ICONIC-1st-Genesis-Fully-Restored/323258211399?hash=item4b43b0dc47:g:-xUAAOSwf5Ba-2YM

I then was given a couple of used ones and did a much, much better job cannabalizing them/ restoring one. The survivor is kinda/sorta a Silver C that I converted to NG and put wooden shelves on (I really liked the stainless lid and side burner, but the plastic shelves had to go!!) -- so a bit of a Franken-grill with some parts from a Genesis 3000, some from a Genesis Gold, and some from a Silver C. I had some old mahogany baluster stock lying around and I ripped them down into slats and put several coats of spar varnish on there (PU doesn't much like heat). I didn't realize how easy it would be or how reasonable in cost the needed parts would be. Works absolutely awesome and looks the part!

Last edited:

Back