Rehab project Pre 2000 Summit 4 burner

Ray C.

Just beginning and need new crossovers. Received those. Does manifold need to be removed to get enough wiggle room to pop out burner tubes. Manifold screws (one on each end?) stripped and rusted. Will need new igniters but was hoping to manually light to test burners. EZ out the solution or is there something easy I’m missing.
Thanks all.

Yes and it's very easy to do. Literally just snaps off. But beware of rust through in the front of the fire box before going to far into the hole with it

Yes and it's very easy to do. Literally just snaps off. But beware of rust through in the front of the fire box before going to far into the hole with it
Thanks for the reply. Not sure exactly what you mean. Push burner tubes towards rear or pull towards the front to clear the rear slots? Tried both ways. Tubes have play but not enough to clear rear slots.

I've got a 2002 Summit 450. Not sure if configuration is the same as yours, but on mine you have to remove the manifold first, as the control valves are inserted into the burner tubes. With the manifold removed, the burner tubes pull straight out toward the front of the grill.

On mine, to remove the manifold, you remove the two silver spring clips, one on each end of the manifold, and it just pulls right out.

IMG_0748[1].JPG

IMG_0749[1].JPG

What Chris was kind enough to post (photos) is what I was trying to explain. I could not take photos of mine because it's literally in pieces. So I would not be able to show you what he did

Thanks guys. I seem to have a 2005 model so hoping it’s similar. Can’t get to it today but really appreciate you both going into such such detail for me. This is a great site! Got the grill free and didn’t realize what I had. Think I can bring this puppy back for not much money. Love a challenge.

Are the crossover burners in the center of the grill or across the back? If in the center it's a whole different animal. The flavorizer bars on that thing are uber expensive, and the grills can be real money pits. It's good you don't have much in it but don't drop a bunch in it thinking it's worth it. They're really not. But just the flavorizers alone for a plain 4 burner model are $250.

They’re in the center. Flavorizors are solid but connecting pieces have broken in a couple places. Grills are in good shape. Igniters need replacing except rotisserie ingniter, that works. Fire box seems solid so far. Need to transfer my NG line over from current Vermont Castings grill to this to test. Hopefully this week.

If the connecting pieces are broken you're in for very expensive set. $250 for 4 burner if you have the one with smoke burner IIRC then add $50 and if it's a 6 burner with smoke burner you're in for over $300 for them. The grill really will not operate correctly with that center piece broken. So beware by the time you put $$$ into fixing that thing you're knocking on the door of something much nicer if not brand new

Ray, sounds like you've got a Summit Silver A. Here's the owners manual, page 44 shows how to remove the manifold to replace the burner tubes. Yes, you're right, those two screws have to come out. :(

Thanks guys. It is a Silver with smoke burner. My head tells me to take advantage of your experience and move on to something else to drive me crazy. Thanks.

Ray, sounds like you've got a Summit Silver A. Here's the owners manual, page 44 shows how to remove the manifold to replace the burner tubes. Yes, you're right, those two screws have to come out. :(

Thanks for the link. Found it also this afternoon at Weber site putting in serial number. That’s how I found out the build year.

Ray, find yourself a nice Silver B or Genesis 1000 to rehab. They are much simpler and less expensive to rehab and parts are readily available.

Back