Regulator Issues?

CharlesG

TVWBB Member
My restoration is nearly complete and I've been testing out the grill for a few weeks. I'm excited to post the finished picture here! One issue I noticed was that the regulator seems to cause some temperature irregularities. The first time I fired it up it went past 550F quite easily. The next time it barely hit 300F. I disconnected the propane tank and connected it again and it went back up to 550F. Turning the regulator a bit seems to cause the gas output to change. Is this a bad regulator? Anything I could do to fix it? Or just get a new one?

If you really feel the hose/regulator has problems, just replace it. You can get a replacement for $9 to $20 depending on exactly which one you need.
Keep in mind that if you open the tank fast or while the burner valves are open, the OPD valve on the tank may sense a breach in the system and shut down flow of gas. Usually turning everything off, disconnecting the tank and then reconnecting the tank, opening the tank slowly with burner valves shut will restore full flow.

Also, if you run your grill without the flavorizer bars and grates installed, it will heat up super quick and high, unlike when they are installed.

Thank you all for the helpful replies! LMichaels, you saved me from buying the wrong fitting on the regulator!

Good to know I have the 3/8 flare fitting on the Silver B. Is it possible to remove this fitting and just use a hose with a 1/8 NPT male end? Is the manifold tapped for 1/8 NPT? Or is this a bad idea?

I'm also thinking this hose below would look pretty cool. It would fit right up to the existing 3/8 flare fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07G14ZDNL/tvwb-20

I'm trying to get something close to the right length so I don't have to coil up several feet of extra hose. The 90 degree end is also nice and keeps everything compact.

Thank you all for the helpful replies! LMichaels, you saved me from buying the wrong fitting on the regulator!

Good to know I have the 3/8 flare fitting on the Silver B. Is it possible to remove this fitting and just use a hose with a 1/8 NPT male end? Is the manifold tapped for 1/8 NPT? Or is this a bad idea?

I'm also thinking this hose below would look pretty cool. It would fit right up to the existing 3/8 flare fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07G14ZDNL/tvwb-20

I'm trying to get something close to the right length so I don't have to coil up several feet of extra hose. The 90 degree end is also nice and keeps everything compact.
Yes if you Remove the flare fitting from the manifold it is a 1/8 connection in to the manifold

I was just curious in case the flare fitting regulators were more expensive. Just as another option to have. For now I will leave the flare fitting in place.

The flare fitting regulators/hoses are more common and hence less expensive than the ones with 1/8" NPT connectors. You are best off leaving the 3/8" flare fitting on the manifold unless you have some specific reason for removing it.

Back