Refrigerator brands and longevity

They took the box off in the truck.
A friend came over and fixed the leak. The guy from Lowe’s must have loosened the nut when he changed the fittings.
They should be here in 20 minutes with the new refrigerator.
New door is on and the ice maker is working.
Happy hour starts early today!

On a happy note I scored a small upright freezer from Sam's Wednesday. Not a bad little unit. Thompson brand. Not fancy but it gets CCCCOOOOOLD. I am using it for the meats I am buying and having wife vacuum pack. I think I hit upon why I was having so much bad luck with the Food Saver. I had never read before that they recommend you freeze the items open on a tray to dry them out a bit and allow them to not change shape under vacuum. We did that and we have some VERY nicely packaged beef, pork and chicken. Even a catfish fillet or two. Going to maybe buy either another prime strip loin (since strips are wife's fav steak) or another prime packer tenderloin (her other fav). Also maybe another pack or 3 of some boneless short ribs. Very versatile. I can smoke them, grind them to burger and so on. And maybe some prime top sirloin. I do a coarse grind on that for my Bolognese Just enough fat for flavor but lean enough it does not leave "grease" in my gravy. (yes we true Italians call it gravy only marinara is called sauce) :D
Freezer is the next thing on my list. I bought the new fridge because I was worried about storing a lot of meat in an old refrigerator.

<crosses fangers> Got a call first thing this morning from the delivery company, should be here late tomorrow afternoon.

Chris, the model we're getting requires 72" vertical niche space, 25" deep, and 36" wide. Even after I moved the cabinets, I hadn't really contemplated, or appreciated, what I have here. I'd be pretty unhappy with the arrangement you showed in the picture.

<crosses fangers> Got a call first thing this morning from the delivery company, should be here late tomorrow afternoon.

Chris, the model we're getting requires 72" vertical niche space, 25" deep, and 36" wide. Even after I moved the cabinets, I hadn't really contemplated, or appreciated, what I have here. I'd be pretty unhappy with the arrangement you showed in the picture.
I’m glad my cabinets are pretty high. There was plenty of room for the new refrigerator and the cabinet above it is where I hide the good stuff.
D0BB1732-D8A3-4097-9223-BF611D333450.jpeg

Well, lessee how this works. It's in place, cooled down fairly rapidly, and seems to be fairly quiet. I'll be happy to not have to defrost every 7-14 days.

We did spring for the flush handle model, there's no protruding handles at all. I thought it was a good idea when I saw it in the product brochure, HD did not have one on the floor. Now that it's here, I think it's going to be one of those things that just plain works where it's installed.

Most of the fridges call for 1/2" spacing from the walls , I hardly ever find 1 that isn't touching 1 or both sides. work aint slowed up with any of the new fridges lol .

Mike, it's just the doors & drawers that are flush faced, no handles that stick out. I still have 1" or more separation on both sides and the rear.

And now that we're 60 days past delivery......

The flush handles really are awfully nice. Nothing to catch on the way by. We did get the model with the separate vegetable drawer, primarily due to my s/o's very high fiber diet. This thing keeps vegetables better than any other refrigerator we've ever used. Icemaker has a pretty large bin in the freezer, although it does a little longer to fill, the icemaker itself is a little smaller. The filtered water tap is inside the refrigerator compartment. Not having anything delivered through the door so far has just not been an issue.

One minor downside is that tall items just don't fit as well. That's just about the only downside we've found so far.

One other interesting thing is there is no manufacturer badging visible on it.

All in all..... yeah, we're pretty happy with it thus far.

Back