red performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim C

TVWBB Super Fan
found this little beauty on cl. its an N 1991 model. all 3 blades were rusted and broken off. just the old rusted hex assembly is there. any advice on the best way to get that off?
it has one place where the finish is chipped on the charcoal bowl,an easy fix. im quite happy to finally have a red weber on my patio.

red performer

the bar that holds the ash catcher is very rusted and flimsy. it wont last much longer. weber said they dont make them anymore. i remember reading someone saying they used the new system and had to cut the legs for the tabs that hold the ring on.
weber offered a new bowl, mounting hardware and ash catcher at a discount,$ 40. after coveting a red weber for a long time thats definately the last thing i want to do

Tim: I don't think I quite got your last post. What's the last thing you want to do, cut the legs or get new parts at a great price?

Great looking Red Performer. I bought a 1995 model on CL a few months ago. It had the same problem with the one touch system. Mine only had one blade left and it was very rusty. The handle was also broke off. I used a cutoff wheel on my dremal tool and cut the remainder of the handle off and the hex nut just pushed up through the hole.

My ash catcher bar was in the same shape as yours. I got extremely lucky and one of the members here had recently gotten two from weber right before they quit making them and gave me one of them. I'm very grateful to him for the generosity.

One of the other members here used a dremel tool and cut slots in the legs of his older performer so that the newer style ash catcher ring would work.

If you go to one of my post about my 1995 Red Performer I think he talks about how he did it. Good luck on yours.

Wayne

george its part 22 here

its name is not in the list because they dont make it any more.
thanks wayne. im probably going to try to cut the leg slots. i just cant give up on a red one just yet

Aha, they offered you a new black bowl. That's the part I didn't get, although it's obvious now. Before I started grinding on that beautiful red porcelain, I'd pick up some flat stock and see if I could bend a new bar.

thanks gary. where in ok? the bar i have is really rusted and flexes easily.
while i fogged the neighborhood for mosquitos with some cheap buger meat i was took some crumpled foil to the lid and bowl of the red kettle. its really not that bad. it has to be saved at all cost.
the edges on the ash catcher ring and bowl are kinda bent in places im gonna take some channel locks or vice grips and get it working smooth. gonna take some measurements and grind and file away on some metal until i can make a bar fits. it'll all work out.

Hey Tim, I am in Moore, grew up in BA, my mom lives in Tulsa. I gave the other one away to Wayne (previous post) wish I had another to help you out. Good score regardless...the Red performers just rock. Your looks to be in great shape. I too restored mine, even got new stainless steel..she shines so purdy
icon_smile.gif
I think we all have a grilling sickness....its great.

my stainless looks pretty good. i havent looked at the tank or tried the igniter yet.
i think your right about grilling sickness. even after finding one i still check cl every day, even dallas and kc. i thought about taking off more than once for a 5 hr drive to get one. tulsa's cl is usually stagnant for grills. i got really lucky

I know what you mean...I have seen people all over on the forums posting these great CL scores, on performers that look brand new, vintage kettles in excellent shape etc.. I just happened to check CL the day after he posted and swapped it up, couldnt believe my eyes. I posted a link on this forum of the restore project. I had a great time restoring it...It will last MANY years. I bought the cover for it too from Weber. Still looking for a blue one to go w/ my OTG blue though
icon_smile.gif
Like you...always on the look out.

I guess I was lucky. Even though the one touch system was incredibly rusty, that cross bar piece wasn't in too bad a condition.

Tim - I'm the guy with the 1992 Red Performer and had the same problem with the ash catcher bar that you are having.

The current model Performers and OTG's ash catcher ring mount to the bowl via three "tabs" that are pressed into corresponding "slots" cut into the top of the leg mount stubs on the bottom of the bowl.

I had a OTG to use as a guide so I had Weber send me the current model ash catcher ring, handle and ash catcher bowl.

I took a Dremmel tool and cutting blade and replicated the "slots" into the leg stubs on my performer. It took about 5 minutes.

Then I just mounted the ash catcher ring into the slots just as on the current model Performer.

That eliminates the need for the ash catcher bar.

It has worked great.

I'll take some pics and post them this weekend if you would like.

Pat

sure pat that would be great thank you. i hadnt owned a otg until march but im sure my set up is identical to the 22. just put tape on the legs mark out the cut and let er rip?
besides the rusty bar with the shape that my ash catcher is in it would be smarter to go with the new system. my dremel gave up the ghost a few years ago. i might have a friend who has one i can borrow. these days if you cant cook on it or eat it im probably not gonna buy it
we need to play you guys in football again.

waiting on parts from weber, some are on backorder. got all the rust off and painted the frame. touched up the bowl with some red 1300 degree paint made for manifolds. you have to heat it in stages for it to cure. they really do get a lot darker when they get hot. i have a new favorite grill. the quest for more red webers continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back