Red Head restore questions

Russ in CFL

TVWBB Fan
Morning all,

I've been looking for a red head as my first restore just for fun, plus I like red things so it will fit in my collection. I've been reading the threads about restoring but still have a couple questions about the styles of older Webers though. I'll start with the link:

Craigslist

Doesn't look too bad for $40 to me, assuming he still has it. From what I can tell its missing the metal shelf across the bottom and I'm sure some other pieces. Is that shelf replaceable or something I would have to make? Also it looks like the burner cover is dented in the pic, can those be bought new? For the most part the paint looks repairable so not worried there. I'm sure there is more I will learn along the way but my main question is about the plastic shelving. I like the look of the wooden shelves you guys have, are those something that can be installed on this one or are they model specific and this is the lower-end model? I would rather wait to find the right model with the wood slats if so. Appreciate the help all.

Russ: That is a Genesis Silver C grill with a Genesis 1000 lid on it. That is fine. But like you said, the grill is missing the bottom shelf and therefore the legs have no sideways support. You would have to do something about that. There are a couple choices, but short of finding the kind of bottom wire shelf that is made to snap in and provide that side to side support, it would be fairly involved.
Unless you are fairly handy and have some tools, I would probably look for something else. But, if you have time and are open to a project, that would be a good candidate to start with.
But do a good inspection of the grill before you buy it as there are unseen issues that could make it a much less desirable rehab candidate.

Morning all,

I've been looking for a red head as my first restore just for fun, plus I like red things so it will fit in my collection. I've been reading the threads about restoring but still have a couple questions about the styles of older Webers though. I'll start with the link:

Craigslist

Doesn't look too bad for $40 to me, assuming he still has it. From what I can tell its missing the metal shelf across the bottom and I'm sure some other pieces. Is that shelf replaceable or something I would have to make? Also it looks like the burner cover is dented in the pic, can those be bought new? For the most part the paint looks repairable so not worried there. I'm sure there is more I will learn along the way but my main question is about the plastic shelving. I like the look of the wooden shelves you guys have, are those something that can be installed on this one or are they model specific and this is the lower-end model? I would rather wait to find the right model with the wood slats if so. Appreciate the help all.
Hi Russ, the lid fits but is not original to the grill. The grill is a 2002ish Silver C.

f

Interesting, thanks for the info. I think I will pass on it.

How can you tell it is a different lid? Is it the wooden handle and thermo on it? What shows you it is the silver model frame? Curious so I can watch for the same in the future. Thanks.

Russ,
If you want to do a walk through history of Weber, go to our section here with Weber brochures and catalogs. We still have a lot of holes, but you can still see the design progression. For what you are interested in you are looking at 1985 to about 2000. I think the earliest brochure with gas grills we have is 1990, but it shows the original Genesis 1-5 models. Around 2000 they made some changes to the firebox going from two rows of flavorizer bars (13) to one row (5). The names, which had evolved from 1-5 to 1000-5000 changed then to Silver, Gold and Platinum.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I think I will pass on it.

How can you tell it is a different lid? Is it the wooden handle and thermo on it? What shows you it is the silver model frame? Curious so I can watch for the same in the future. Thanks.
Yes the wood handle is a dead giveaway. The knobs and control panel are Silver B/C

Check out the link that Jon provided to learn more about the different models and variations of gas grills that Weber has built over the years.

Sorry. He did not provide the link. But it is on this website. A search should find it. I think the weber.com website has a good Chronology Of the gas grills as well.

Back