Red BBQ Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Rudko

TVWBB Member
A few weeks ago, I paid more than I should for a BBQ Kettle. I bought it because I wanted to see if the older triple vents in the base made smoking any easier. It was in pretty good shape but I decided to touch up some of the chips in the finish per the recommendations I found on this board. Used Duplicolor red engine paint and Meguiar #7 glaze. Turned out pretty good. And I got a side work table for half price and a cast iron grate to trick the thing out a little more. The ribs that came off on the inaugural smoke were pretty good, marred only by the clove(?) BBQ rub from the Cook's Illustrated BBQ Book. Avoid this rub!

A couple of days after I picked up the BBQ Kettle, I scored a NIB '95 red One Touch Silver for 5 bucks less than I paid for the used one. At first I was kicking myself for getting the BBQ Kettle, but now that I've spruced it up and used it, I'm glad to have both.

BBQK.jpg

BBQK3.jpg

BBQK5.jpg

BBQK6.jpg

BBQK7.jpg

Sweet setup. Congrats on your score.
I think the vote here would be, there's no such thing as to many Red Heads
icon_wink.gif
in this hobby. I'm working on Red SS Performer from my Wifes cousin. Looks like he's going to put up a good fight, but I'm not giving up.
icon_biggrin.gif

Very nice score and nice job on the restoration!
The table compliments the kettle.

Was the paint job on the bowl or the lid?
Reason I ask is a couple of my REDS touch ups with the Dupli-Color on the bowls burnt off after a few cooks, but the paint on the lids have held up.

Anyone up for a Red Kettle Appreciation Society?

Mr./Ms. Rudko -

Congratulations on both the Bar-B-Q-Kettle and the new One-Touch.

I don't know where you are located, but if you have any lingering regrets about the Bar-B-Q-Kettle, I might be willing to take it off your hands - maybe for a few bucks more than you paid (depending, of course, on how much that is and what would be involved in getting it to CT). If interested, please don't hesitate to drop me a line at kjw_westhartford@yahoo.com

Count me in on the Red Kettle Appreciation Society!

Brian, the only painting I did was on the lid, but I was going to touch up the base this weekend. I'm curious if you're using the engine paint that's supposedly good up to 1200 degrees? Maybe the prolonged high temp is just too much for the paint to handle. Guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

I remember someone mentioning how the reds change color when they get hot. When I smoked those ribs, the side of the kettle where the coals were banked went very dark. It was nice to look out the window and at a glance, know that the fire in the belly of the kettle was going strong.

-Mike

The bright red kettles of old turn a beautiful maroon-burgundy hue when hot. It's the magic of the redheads. I've got a later 2-toned 22.5 that the bright red blends with the purple haze on the lip when super hot.

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Congratulations - you can never have enough redheads!

Pat

I have a red performer and a green performer. I love them both, but the red will always be my favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back