red 26" rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
2011-09-08_21-02-36_10.jpg

It's getting close!
What i've done:
- leg sockets were smooshed into bowl and out of alignment, so i hammered them back into place from the inside of the bowl. This sucked, and knocked off even MORE porcelain finish
- bent side handle back into semi straightness. When i got it, one handle was bent all the way up to the lip of the bowl
- the lid handle was also crushed down at an angle, i straightened it
- i used steel wool to get rid of any rust
- i masked off everything but the chips that were larger than a nickel and painted them with VHT red caliper paint. It took several coats to build it up to match the porcelain
- after de-masking, i sprayed the paint into the can's lid and used a small paintbrush (from a watercolor set) to paint ALL the chips smaller than a nickel (there were more than a hundred)
- i sanded and stained the handle. several times because i'm a noob and kept messing it up
- cleaned and polished the legs, wheels, and triangle base. Nevr Dull and steel wool worked magic. I left the wheels on the triangle base with the two legs because i didn't want to remove the metal caps (they're useless after removal and i wanted to keep them original)
- bent back the grate straps, pretty much all of the standoffs were smooshed down, or bent up.

what's left:
- possibly add a high-heat clear-coat. sand and polish to match porcelain better
- clean and polish daisy wheels, reattach
- clean, or replace grill grate. I'm going to check out a local cast iron option tomorrow. the old one is really rusty - i have not attempted to salvage yet.
- possibly touch up the wheels with some black and white paint. one wheel is significantly better than the other
- replace a missing thumbscrew. any idea where i can find one???
- cook up a kickbutt meal, jim lampe style

so far i've put about 12 hours into this beast.

Troy the "Beast" is looking pretty nice.
Show us a picture of the leg screw. I don't have the experience that others do, but I'm pretty resourceful at finding needed hardware.

AJ

Have you tried an Ace hardware for the thumbscrew? They tend to have a better selection than Lowes or HD. Let's see some more pics of the rehab

glorious!!

thanks AJ!

Any idea of what kind of screws/nuts/washers i should use to re-attach the wooden handle?

I was hoping to have my friend rivet it back on, but he's always REALLY busy and i don't want to annoy him.

Troy,
You could use some stainless screws. Or Rivets, or I have seen some screw posts that might work.
I don't know if those are readily available, or even what size would work. Check the misc. hardware bins at your local hardware store.
dwg_aluminum_1-8.png

Thanks again AJ. I'll see what ace or home depot has this afternoon.

Here's a pic of the grill in this mornings sunlight.

big-red-thumb.jpg

The handle is wire-tied on
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
Troy,
You could use some stainless screws. Or Rivets, or I have seen some screw posts that might work.
I don't know if those are readily available, or even what size would work. Check the misc. hardware bins at your local hardware store.
dwg_aluminum_1-8.png
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found some of these at ace hardware. I bought the smallest ones they had, but they're still a little bit too big. The screwhead and the post head still poke out from the wood on the top and the bottom. I don't mind the look, but the metal gets ****ED hot (cured the paint tonight and started cleaning the grates)

I KNOW Jim Lampe did this, but i can't find the thread where he talked about it!

Troy,
What size did you get?
I wonder if something smaller is available.
Show us a pic or two when you get time..
AJ

Troy, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS & a well deserved pat on the back for a very nice rehab job!
You've gone completely out of your way to restore this kettle... You should receive a medal for your efforts!

now to your minor details... the handle I reinstalled with stainless hardware, I used material I picked up from the business I am employed at.
I can find more and send you various types/sizes for you to try to fit.
I do not remember the size butt I do remember I did have to grind down the screw end a bit to keep from protruding from the wood handle base.
Let me know if I can help out in any way possible, even with your inaugural "kickbutt meal".
icon_wink.gif

My email address: JazzCatGuido at Gmail dot com

Very Nice Work matey!

Thanks guys!

since my last post, i cleaned up the grill grates and have decided to try to use them. they still have some pitted rust, but its not too bad.

i'd still like to make some craycort cast iron grates fit - maybe that'll be a winter project.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
Thanks guys!

since my last post, i cleaned up the grill grates and have decided to try to use them. they still have some pitted rust, but its not too bad.

i'd still like to make some craycort cast iron grates fit - maybe that'll be a winter project. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Troy, first off Excellent job on the red head! it looks awesome! Second if it helps you the 26 inch grillmark grate at Ace hardware seems to be of good quality for an off brand. It states it 26 inches, but I measured it right at 24 3/4 and it fits the old school 26ers great! For 24.99 it's a good grate!

Troy, how's that caliper paint working? My new 1979 redhead has some enamel missing and I'm wondering how it's holding up to the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back