Rectangular Metal Casing for Igniter - 2012 Spirit 310

Willard

TVWBB Fan
I'm sure this has come up before but I did a search before posting the question and didn't find anything.

This pertains my good ole Spirit 310: The rectangular metal casing where the igniter sits inside the cookbox has rusted. I called Weber and looked on eBay and couldn't find that part only. I don't want to buy the the whole igniter since all I need is that little metal casing. Does anyone sell that part by itself?

1631541483738.png

I’ve replaced it a few times and never seen the box by itself. I think the whole assembly is $10-12. And the box is prone to rust, due to the extreme heat, as much like flavorizer bars, it sits over a flame the entire cook. The newer Weber’s use ceramic.

You can buy the #7509 or #7510 igniter or aftermarket replacement for each. They are less than $10 on Amazon. It would be nice to see someone offer just the gas catcher as I have about 20 of the igniter buttons.

It would be nice if some company would manufacture a high quality stainless replacement. Maybe someone with the right stuff at home could fab them up? The housing is so cheap and thin on the OEM ones that they are doomed to rust/deteriorate way before the igniter itself. Bruce's collection is proof of that! I have quite a few myself.

FWIW, I actually think that at least some of the aftermarket ones are better than the OEM Weber version.

I replaced several of them on my Silver B. All still sparked, but rusted out making it unreliable. A ceramic hood would have been a nice upgrade.

Jsaus, I wonder how hard it would be to put one of those ceramic igniters on a Silver B or Genesis 1000. I have a Mig welder and if I had a Genesis E3xx ceramic igniter and a bracket from a burner tube, I think I could Git 'er Done. It would be nice to have one of those on my personal grill and not have to deal with it again for a much longer time.

True, but you would need the bracket that holds the igniter to the burner. If you had an old Genesis E3XX burner, you could maybe pry the bracket off and reweld it to the Genesis 1000 or Silver B burner.

On my silver B, I used aluminum foil and made a make-shift box around the igniter as a temporary fix. It worked so well I forgot that it was supposed to be temporary. I think it lasted 3 years until the igniter eventually failed..

On my silver B, I used aluminum foil and made a make-shift box around the igniter as a temporary fix. It worked so well I forgot that it was supposed to be temporary. I think it lasted 3 years until the igniter eventually failed..
Really, that is probably a perfect, easy solution! Not for flip grills, but fine for your own use.

Back