recommended reading list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Moore

TVWBB Super Fan
I saw someone mention this on another thread last week - and since it hasn't been started, I'll bite...What are some of your favorite bbq/grilling/smoking books? I really like 2 that I have now:

"Smoke and Spice" by Bill and Cheryl Jamison
"The Thrill of the Grill" by Christopher Schlesinger

Also, I just saw one this past weekend at a friend's house that I will probably add to my collection (if my ego will let me buy it based on it's title /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

"How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen and Greg Schneider

Anyway, just thought I would see what some of your favorites were.

I have "How to Grill" and it's a wonderful book. Tons of information and recipies. Probably one of the must haves IMO.

Ok I lied. I checked when I got home and it's the BBQ Bible not How to Grill. I got them mixed up.

I would recommend that you add a book on cooking
science, a good one is How to Read a French Fry by Russ Parsons.
Jim

Hi Rick and welcome to the group!

I bought both the Raichlen books as a set for my bro......How to Grill and BBQ Bible. How to Grill, is VERY basic....so be careful if you have been grilling for several years. It is more instructional in nature with fewer recipes. The BBQ Bible has a huge amount of recipes from around the world...ALL around the world. So, you better be VERY adventursome in your BBQ tastes. I am not. LOL This book is mostly about recipes as opposed to instructions/how to's.

I suggest before buying either of these, spend some time in the bookstore and read each of the chapter headings, then turn to the first page of each chapter. That will give you a flavor for how each of the books is structured. It also allows you to see the content and how basic or advanced it is.

Anyway, my brother loves them and claims the recipes are great from each book.

I am fortunate to have a copy of the book, "Barbecuing & Sausage-Making Secrets" by the late Charlie Knote...he also of the Culinary Institute of Smoke-Cooking. VERY good book with lots of explanations and some science to back it up. I honestly have never made a recipe from it, but it was an invaluable reference/teacher on low and slow smoking techniques.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if it is still available.

Sorry, no time to Google it! LOL

I own the BBQ Bible. I seem to use it more for technique than recipes. I would rather buy cooking magazines every other month or so than an expensive cookbook once a year.

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am fortunate to have a copy of the book, "Barbecuing & Sausage-Making Secrets" by the late Charlie Knote...he also of the Culinary Institute of Smoke-Cooking. VERY good book with lots of explanations and some science to back it up. I honestly have never made a recipe from it, but it was an invaluable reference/teacher on low and slow smoking techniques.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if it is still available.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I searched for it last week. Amazon doesn't carry it, but I found it on Barnes and Noble.com. However, I just looked again 5 minutes ago and Barnes and Noble didn't have it. Oh well.

I agree, how to grill is a very good basic book-it really helped me learn about grilling and indirect cooking.

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces is very helpfull for learning about basic ingredients and how to make a rub or sauce of your own.

Thanks to all for your input!

Jon - I haven't been around that long - thanks for digging up the old posts for me!

Jim - I can't believe there is really a book called "How to Read a French Fry" - just got finished the summary and review on Amazon. Now on to the library's website to see if they have it before I buy it!

I'm so glad someone found Barbecuing and Sausage Making at $14.95! I found it out of print on Amazon but used ones starting at $99+ /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I'll check the library on this one also before I buy - I do this with most of my books to check them out prior to purchase! Saves more pennies for meat! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Peter - what are some of your favorite magazines? Are there any specifically towards grilling/barbecuing? I'd be very interested in a subscription if there was one!

Thanks again all - and keep them coming! I've got plenty of reading ahead of me...

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas is a great book. It's geared toward cold smoking, but it contains a huge wealth of knowledge.

I have that one (the Rytek Kutas book). It's pretty much considered the bible of sausage-making.

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

I have most of the books listed in this post, but the 3 that get used the most are:
"How to Grill"
"Smoke & Spice"
"The Complete Meat Cookbook"

I'll second Jon's suggestion.

I got the "Weber Big Book of Grilling" for Xmas and that book has EVERYTHING you wanted to know. Cuts of meat, where they are located on the cow/hog, A spice index, how to sear a steak, smoke woods...everything.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Hi Stogie, thanks for the info! Almost sorry you got a job again! To all the rest: "if Stogie says it then I believe it" Just ordered the book by the late Charlie Knote. dan from PA

"ve grow too soon oldt and too late schmardt"

Hey Kevin , I found Charlie & Ruthie Knote's Barbequing and sausage making secrets on Barnes and Noble.com

It also looks like its available at the website for the Culinary Institute of Smoke Cooking.

Just arrived today i'm looking forward to perusing it.

Thanks!!!

Checked the B&N website it still shows available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back