Recommended Mods to improve sealing

Brian Quintal

TVWBB Member
Well I've done some of the recommended mods on my 22.5 WSM i.e. mid section handles, lower rack handles, second charcol grate. Now I would like to seal the unit better all around for lower temp capability and more controlled temp over all. What are some on the seal methods people have done to enhance the smoker? I understand there may be a kit I can buy to seal around the door, is there also things people have done to seal around the sections? Other suggestions?

Here's a list of my favorite mods to help seal my WSM's
Pork Butt, Brisket, Meatloaf, Ribs, Chicken, etc... :D

First thing I'd recommend checking is making sure everything is close to round. As in - measure the charcoal bowl (picture a clock - 12to6, 9to3) If it's off more than 3/8", give it a "bear hug" on the long side BUT GO SLOWLY. A little hug goes a long way. Same for the cebnter section (both top & bottom) and the lid. Once everything is close to round, the door is your next step. Personally, I never even used the stock 22" door. What a POS that thing is. I ordered the Cajun Bandit SS door and couldn't be happier. A lot of users are more than content with the stock door, so it does work. Just 'massage' it for a better fit. Once those are done, go back to my original list and start over. :D

Here's a list of my favorite mods to help seal my WSM's
Pork Butt, Brisket, Meatloaf, Ribs, Chicken, etc... :D

First thing I'd recommend checking is making sure everything is close to round. As in - measure the charcoal bowl (picture a clock - 12to6, 9to3) If it's off more than 3/8", give it a "bear hug" on the long side BUT GO SLOWLY. A little hug goes a long way. Same for the cebnter section (both top & bottom) and the lid. Once everything is close to round, the door is your next step. Personally, I never even used the stock 22" door. What a POS that thing is. I ordered the Cajun Bandit SS door and couldn't be happier. A lot of users are more than content with the stock door, so it does work. Just 'massage' it for a better fit. Once those are done, go back to my original list and start over. :D

Exactly. Same here, and thankfully, I haven't any issues. The CB door is tight, and everything is tight. No gaskets needed or nothing. Smoke away.

In addition to the above you might like to use the search mode on this site for Nomex gasket. I have used it on both of my 18's and have it under the lid of my 26" kettle.
BBQ Gaskets.com, Justin, has serviced a number of us on this site. It does make a considerable difference. I think it's fair to say those who have used it are glad they did. You have to be careful how you seal the bottom of the mid section as there is not a lot of clearance but it sure worked well for me.

Back