recommendations for my cook this weekend?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
This weekend, I will be having a smallish get together at my house for ol' mom. There will be 7 people...but both my brother and I eat 3x the average guy, and I'd like to have some leftovers. I've already decided I'm doing Mr. Brown.

From what I've read on TVWB, seems as though I can expect anywhere from a 40-60% yield of final product to raw weight. So, I'm thinking I'll go with about 10 lbs. of butt. I'm sure that would satisfy everybody, but I REALLY want everyone to get their fill, and like I said I also would like some leftovers.

The grocery store near me has boston butts right now for 1.70 a pound I think. But, most of them are small 4-5 pounders. Should I get 2 (or even 3?) of those, or get one large one (8lbs) and a small one? The reason I ask is that I want the cook to be simple...in other words don't want one butt to be done way before the other, etc.

I'm open to any recommendations, advice etc.

Phil, I would do one larger butt. If you started with 1 lb. of uncooked butt per person, you should yield 1/2 lb. pulled or chopped pork per person. It should do the job. My butts of 8lb. can take 18 hours. If you do two smaller you will likely take less time. They will hold in a cooler for a couple hours, so plan ahead and you will not feel rushed. A large butt takes me about 30 minutes to pull.

Then you may kick yourself for not cooking two and freezing some.

I would do the 10#er. I have never had a problem with too much leftover pork!
icon_wink.gif

I would find 2 eight pounders myself to make SURE I had leftovers lol. If your going to fire it up, might as well fill it up! I do a 10 pound picnic just for our family of 4 to make sure I have pork all week. (And toss on Bratworst also sometimes)
Hope all goes well for you.

What about doing 1 8-10lb. butt and one 5lb. butt?
What kind of compensations would I have to make to make them both cook evenly? I mean, I know it will be a long cook and that's not a problem (I'm going to cook saturday and hold the meat over in the fridge, pulled, until the following day). One more thing...you big eaters here...how much pulled pork do you reasonably eat in a sitting? Is 1/2lb. per person generous?

Ask someone around the meat department if they have larger ones in the back. Usually they do. They'll cut a couple of steaks off the large butts and put the smaller piece along with the steaks out in the display case.

Was at Sam's last Saturday-- they appear to have started putting at least one two-pack in Cryovac out in the display case with the repackaged singles. $1.38/lb, I think they were.

Wow! I get them for .99 a pound at BJ's in Danvers, MA pretty consistently. I've seen them get down to .89. I thought we were supposed to be MORE expensive than everyone???

Bill, our Butts at BJ's are $1.29-$1.39 a pound also. If your butt's are that cheap, what do the Picnics cost there? They are $.89 here.
Is BJ's national or just in the NE? I have a Costcos membership and BJ's. Bj's has a much better selection here for smoking.

Mo Pork is Mo Better
icon_wink.gif

It will get consumed or you can store it in the fridge or freezer. I just don't think you can have too much smoked pork on hand. I've had over half a ton in the freezer on occasion and it never lasts.

I think I am going to do two 7lb. butts, or as close as I can get to two 7lb butts (depending on the selection at the market). I thought the b. butts were 1.90lb...turns out they are 1.09 per pound. Definately worth it IMHO.

I'm now guessing on 3/4 lb per person. Hopefully, that will leave me with some leftovers. I'm going to get them on Fri, and begin the rubbin'.

Phil, cook (2) 7-8 lb butts and you will have some leftovers. I try to cook at least that much when I do butts because it reheats so well and it is not any harder to cook 2 as it is 1. Good luck.

Butts are purchased. Rub is mixed. Wood is slpit into nice chunks. WSM, with its new fireplace gasket, sits silently waiting to do its work. I'm ready!

Going to rub the butts (2 6lbers) tonight and start cooking tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck with my first butts!
Phil

BTW...the Turbinado sugar called for in the rub is PRICEY! I paid $5 for 1 pound...but you don't use much, so I guess it will last.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

All the years that I have been grilling, there's something I haven't tried yet, Turbinado sugar. Let me know what you think. I here it has a flavor of it's own.
I have a just under 10# whole round tip to do Saturday. Great sliced up for sandwiches.
Have fun.

Might as well load it up with even weight butts (10 lbers) - what do don't eat can be vaccuum sealed for the freezer!!

Back