Recommendation For Replacement Parts Source

Bob Ascher

New to the forum and what drew me her was the vast number of members and the variety of postings for Weber Grills & Grilling.
I need to find a good source for replacement parts for my D6LPSS Platinum 2005 model. Doesn't have to be O.E. as long as the quality is there.
Needing Flavor Izor Bars #9899 and Burner Tube Kit #85663
Could also use but not critical -Ignitor Kit #42326 and Cooking Grates #9930
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Just a tip. Summits can be very expensive to maintain. Before you drop a potential small fortune, make sure the fire box is intact. If there are rust/burn holes through the front or back check to see if you can get it replaced (very likely cannot), and if not perhaps rethink dropping a lot of coin any further on it and perhaps look at something different.

Just a tip. Summits can be very expensive to maintain. Before you drop a potential small fortune, make sure the fire box is intact. If there are rust/burn holes through the front or back check to see if you can get it replaced (very likely cannot), and if not perhaps rethink dropping a lot of coin any further on it and perhaps look at something different.
Thanks for that information, quickly finding out that the bars and burners is going to be over $500.00 then add in the grates, and it's up over $800.00.
The grill was $2k when I bought it back in 06 and it's been fun to cook on but will need to check the fire box before i go further.
Thanks again.

So, I checked out the bottom box of the grill and overall its in pretty good shape. There is a bit of rust on the front lip where the flavor bars rest but its intact and ready for new ones.
My son did some looking online for not Weber replacement parts and found some parts that may well work from Amazon at half price or better than the OE - I'll look into that and see if they will fit.
Thanks again for the heads up on checking the condition of the firebox.

Bob, you need to pay particular attention to the front and rear walls of the fire box. They rust/burn through and become unsafe for use. That is the worst of the issues besides the expense

Do they not warranty the firebox?
Well they're supposed to. But, as they did to me, they tell you it's "under warranty" then in the same breath tell you they cannot supply the parts as they don't make them. Parts are very scarce for those 2nd gen Summits

Do they not warranty the firebox?
Not sure Weber would warranty the box, given that it is 17 years old - Doing my inspection, I removed the grates, and flavor bars and saw no cracks or openings in the walls of the box. The only thing I noticed was that the lip that hold the flavor bars was rusted away in a few spots but overall, the lip was solid and will last a quite a while longer, based on the current age of the grill and how its faired so far.
Glad you all are here to help!
Thanks

Just check VERY thoroughly before you drop a lot of coin. I recall mine went from a couple "pimples" to eaten through in a couple months. There is little warning.

I believe the last time I looked, cook boxes for 2nd. generation Summit grills were at least still available for sale. I don't know about all versions, but some. They of course weren't cheap.

I bought genuine weber parts for my summit recently. Keep in mind this is Australian dollar.

I bought flavorizers (9 for my 4 burner summit) they were $115
New hot plate $59
2x stainless steel grills $155 (kinda regret getting these lol)
New gas hose $27
New ignition system $0 free under warranty somehow lol

My firebox also looks ok. Is rust caused from where you live? Or heat breaking through the enamel and causing a rust spot?

Because where I live we don't get rust on anything.

My firebox also looks ok. Is rust caused from where you live? Or heat breaking through the enamel and causing a rust spot?
I don't think it is environmental only. I think there is a variety of factors. I doubt a bad environment "helps". I.E. high humidity, temp swings from freezing to hot, etc. From what I could make out on my early Summit was where the burners poke through, there are severe thermal stresses due to the shape of the metal. IOW instead of a simple smooth and even surface such as the back panel (which rarely has an issue), those openings create stress cracks in the enamel surface. Those cracks change with temps. Now as metal heats/cools acidic juices drip on them from cooking. Once that begins to reach the actual metal underneath failure becomes visible as tiny little "dimples". On my grill it went from that stage to full on failure in weeks. Though keep in mind I used my grill multiple times per week. As hardly a meal went by I did not use it for something. Even if only doing veg for a side.

Bob, you need to pay particular attention to the front and rear walls of the fire box. They rust/burn through and become unsafe for use. That is the worst of the issues besides the expense
Ill double check that over the weekend and make sure its solid. Will be a good time to give it a good cleaning as that will reveal any issues that might be covered in grease and dirt.
Thanks

I agree with the cautions you have been given, and as the successor owner to Larry's 1st generation Summit, I can verify his concerns. I was fortunate to have a nice shop that made me perfect stainless steel reinforcements to reinforce the front and back of my firebox parts which have the same issues as your 2nd generation Summit:

Front Piece with Rust Inside.jpeg
IMG_0912 (2).jpegIMG_0953 (1).jpeg

One thing I would say is that the Platinum version of the 2nd generation Summit that you have is much more worth the extra effort than others of that generation because of the unique 304 stainless frame and cabinetry of that short-lived, top-end version. If you can keep it safe, it is a very nice grill. It has already given almost 20 years of service, so that says something right there.

So, I took it apart and cleaned out the grease and dirt and as I stated before, it's in pretty decent shape for the age. I did take some pics and have attached a few. I did run into an issue with the new burner tubes I ordered and it's my error for not measuring but I assumed and that's where we always get in trouble. The 85663-burner tube kit that every site says fits my model is 20.5 inches in length and the tubes on mine are 14.5 inches. So, I am now searching for that part and so far, I can't find it. The tubes themselves are not all that bad but the connector tubes are in pretty bad shape, so may as well replace them all.
Pic4 shows the front lip of the box and that is the most rust or damage I have found.
Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions!

Attachments

• Weber1.jpg
    Weber1.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Weber 2.jpg
    Weber 2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Weber4.jpg
    Weber4.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Weber5.jpg
    Weber5.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 27
So, disregard my post above - I'm not as sharp as I once was and discovered that I do have the correct part and it is 20.5 inches in length.
I also realized that the burner tube extends outside of the box to the burner knobs - it's a ***** getting old lol!
BTW that big brown blob that is sitting behind the valves is a wasp nest, glad it was dormant!

Attachments

• weber6.jpg
    weber6.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Update on my grill renovation - I finally got everything cleaned and re installed. The burners are nice & blue, and everything is working with NO extra parts left behind! I enjoyed our 78-degree weather yesterday by grilling a pork loin and it was amazing, had it with a baked potato and veggies.
Thanks again to all who offered advice and guided me through the renovation. All total my off-brand burners and flavor bars ran just a bit over $100.00 through Amazon. Will eventually replace the grates and the igniter but am in no hurry to do so.
Merry Christmas to all & Happy Grilling!

Back