Recommendation for a rub for smoked boneless, skinless turkey breast?

Chris Mason

TVWBB Fan
With T-Day coming soon, I've been wanting to smoke some turkey, something I've yet to do. When I saw my local store had the breasts on sale, I grabbed a couple and decided to get things going this weekend.

I saw the rib listed in the article on how to smoke bl/sl breasts here but cinnamon and cumin didn't appeal to me.

Right now, I'm thinking of just using Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub (from the beer can chicken article here) since I have a bunch of it in my pantry.

But as usual, I'm curious of any of you have suggestions for a good rub for turkey breast.

I would second WRC, it's really my favorite of the 3 Wolfe rubs, and it goes great with poultry.

I put this up for whole turkey. It would work for turkey breast too. Brine perhaps 8 - 16 hours depending on your preference.

Gah! I just realized the breasts I got are enhanced. I looked at the label, I swear I did. No idea how I missed it.

So with that in mind, I'm going to avoid brining (I know it can be done with enhanced meat if you're careful, I just don't want to deal with it). I do like the rub you suggested, Shawn. Especially since it has no salt. I might give that one a try.

And as for WRC...agreed it's a great one. I'm just in the mood for something more peppery.

Anyway, thanks for replying!

May sound a bit strange but I put a very light dusting of BRITU rib rub on a turkey breast not long ago and it was really good. Gave it a nice sweet and spicy flavor. I had some left over from some ribs I did and thought why the **** not. I mopped the dirty bird a good bit with natural apple juice along the way. Smoked over apple. Came out fine as wine.

P.S. Nothing wrong with enhanced breasts!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mason:
And as for WRC...agreed it's a great one. I'm just in the mood for something more peppery.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So use the Wolfe rub and add additional pepper of your choice. No?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mason:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So use the Wolfe rub and add additional pepper of your choice. No? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not a bad idea.

Hmm...lot's of good ideas in this thread (and I actually have some BRITU in my pantry, too). Maybe I'll go back and get a couple more breasts and do each one a different way.

Thanks again, guys.

I usually use a commercial poultry rub (Lawry's or the like) or a Cajun style rub if I want some heat. Very tasty!

Beings it's enhanced you may want to go with a low/no salt version of these rubs.

Rick

Since you are working with enhanced I left out the salt. Try this off the top of my head:

3 TBSP turbinado sugar
2 TBSP black pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp ancho powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander seed
2 tsp mexican oregano
2 tsp dried marjoram

Back