Recommend Books for a Beginner/Novice?

Ross H

Hi all,

I am fairly novice griller but I have attempted a few long cook recipes on my Weber OTG charcoal grill (Boston Butt and Spare Ribs and a Chicken) but I am ready to take it up a notch and purchase a WSM.

I will probably buy the 22.5 version, I found that when I bought my first OTG it was a 18.5 and ended up regretting it, selling it to get the 22.5 so this time around I am getting the larger one from the outset, It's always better to have to much space than too little. (That seemed to be the moral of my first purchase a least)

I have a most of the Weber grilling cookbooks by Jaime Purviance all of which are very good but I was wondering if anybody has some recommendations for books which have good information and recipes on the low and slow approach more aimed at smoking techniques..?

Thanks,

Ross

I don't really have any "how-to" books; the bbq books I have are more related to the history and social aspects of bbq. But there is a tremendous amount of good information right here on this board - one could easily plagiarize enough material to write several books on bbq cooking just from what is available here.
icon_biggrin.gif

Any of the books by Steve Raichlen are very good, easy to follow, have lots of ideas, and great photos.

How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques

The Barbecue! Bible

BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America

All can be had on Amazon.com for about $15 each

Welcome to the forum. Here are a few that I have and like:

Serious Barbecue: Smoke, Char, Baste, and Brush Your Way to Great Outdoor Cooking
Adam Perry Lang

Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook: A Real Barbecue Champion Brings the Tasty Recipes and Juicy Stories of the Barbecue Circuit to Your Backyard
Ray Lampe

Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint
Chris Lilly

The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual
C. Clark Hale, et al

BBQ Sauces, Rubs & Marinades For Dummies
Traci Cumbay, Tom Schneider

Peace, Love, & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue
Mike Mills, Amy Mills Tunnicliffe

Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue
Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison

Backyard BBQ: The Art of Smokology
Richard W. McPeake

There are a lot more out there. You won't get everything from any of them but you may get something of value from all.

Happy cooking!

Mark

+1 on Gary Wivoitts "Low and Slow". I completed the first couple lessons during the week last week, with great results. Then decided this weekend i'd skip to the last lesson, pulled pork, and did everything as instructed. Gary says in the book 2 7-9 lb butts should feed 25-30 people, we had 15 and had a small bag left over. Good quick read also.

I don't really have any "how-to" books; the bbq books I have are more related to the history and social aspects of bbq. But there is a tremendous amount of good information right here on this board - one could easily plagiarize enough material to write several books on bbq cooking just from what is available here.

Couln't agree more!

Back