Recipe of the month-the bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so the wife says she wants to make a smoked turkey salad this weekend...How apropoe..(however you spell it) cuz its the recipe of the week.. so i told my boys at the butcher to give me a bone-in-turkey breast....they put it in my cart (without me looking) and went along doing shopping... it was only when i went to pay did i see my 12 pound turkey breast sit
ting in my cart....YIKES! thats huge...
ill prob have to cook it for like 3 hours at hight temps

hope its not to big that it gets dry...oh well..ill give it a run and let ya know how it goes.. the good thing is that we are going to put it in a salad so there will be moisture there....

Doug,

Hi. There is an alternative to brining for ritually purifying meat. Although now that I think about it I'm not sure how practical it would be given this is a turkey.

I think, and I'm on shakey ground here, if Mords had an old time butcher he might be able to get a kosher bird slaughtered properly but unbrined. I know other meats can be delivered this way but in order to be "koshered" the blood must be removed by fire. I'll double check but I believe broiling is also an acceptable alternative.

Of course practically speaking who would ever try to broil a turkey?

that is correct you can "Kosher" a bird or other kosher animal also by fire..it has to be roasted over a fire till its cooked... however you wont be able to get one thats not already "koshered" no Kosher slaughterhouse would let one of there birds or other animals leave without being totally koshered already.. the only other thing would be to get someone to slaughter it for you and then roast over fire...but thats a lil nuts....you can only chicken like that once a year around the high holidays......

but thanks for the tip......

so for now all kosher birds are already brined...it goes on tom afternoon

Just want to update you on how the bird went.
though no pics cuz it was sabbath and no pics allowed.

Well i put it on at around 3pm the air temp was around 40 and pouring rain. i had no prob firing up two chimeneys of Kingford andputting it in the wsm. I than put a lil EVOO on the bird with a lil of Mrs Dashs. meal time at 7pm i thiought plenty of time.
mistake number one. 12 pounds of cold turkey into a wsm on a cold day with two loads of Kingford.. to say the least took along time to get upt to 320(and not a bit higher)almost 2 hours
mistake number two i only had two vents wide open cuz i dindt take off the attachemnt where the guru goes and dint want to rip the piece of heat ressitant tape.

coudlnt leave my nu tepm thermometer in the wsm cuz it would get wet, though i could have used a makeshift tent over the digital display. this is what ill do next time. and because it was sabbath i coudlnt check the internal temp of the turkey. so it was pretty much just guessing

i poulled it at 8pm..looked AWSOME !
carved it sat morning....looked great inside and tasted wonderull a tad bit dry.. but a lil mayo and tossed in a salad it was excellent...

will have to try it again next week.. this time hopefully wont be raining and ill factor in the cold better and also let the bird get room temp first...take care

Mords Buddy, Why didn't you use the GURU? It goes up to 400 degrees. Just wondering.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Hey Mords gald it worked out. You could have used a non digital thermometer on the sabath right? Just checking.

And that's why you couldn't use the guru right?

brayn, cuz it was pouring rain.. last time it was slightly raining i put a luminum pan over the guru. but on fri it was windy and pouring rain so i didnt want to ruin it.. and no i cant use any type of thermometer....and yes thats another reason why i couldnt have used the guru....i could have maybe put it on a timer to shut offf the guru however the rain was a factor....i was planing on just using the fact that itll take 3 hours and then take it out but the temps werent stable....

but both good suggestions.. however i have good answers.....next time.....but the bird really looked good. .when i told my freinds at the table that i made it on the smoker they were so impressed.....
thank you chriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back