Ready to cook ham......lo and slo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Riggs

TVWBB Member
Most of the recipes for low and slow call for higher temps. But I want to do mine lo and slo.

Primary reason is that I am going to get in a round of golf while it is cooking. My wife will be tending the the WSM and I have more confidence in her momitoring it while I am gone since she really doesnt know much about it.

Has anyone cooked this kind of ham lo and slo. It is a 18 pounder and I am wanting to get a feel for cook time required at 250F

I assume your asking about a fresh ham? Bone-in?

Do you want to pull it or slice it? Are you brining or marinating?

Duane,
Need more info........cured ham or fresh? Are you making a "ham" for slicing or are you making "BBQ" for pulling?? I don't know anything about cooking a cured ham. If you are cooking an 18# fresh ham for Q, then you can play several rounds of golf. You are looking at a 30hr+ cook, with a dome temp of 250*/grate temp of 235*. (2hrs lb usually to reach 190*-195* internal temp)

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about the "Ready to Cook" hams like a Cooks or similar brand. These are your typical grocery store type hams that have been smoked and I think they are at least partially cooked as opposed to the store type fully cooked hams that you just have to warm up or the country style hams that have been smoked and cured only.

I think it is the same type of ham that Chris used for his Mustard-Whiskey glazed ham recipe, but he cooked it at a higher temp of about 350 for 5 hours or so. I was wanting to cook it at a lower temp and was trying to figure out the time difference.

Okay. Got it now.

Since your wife doesn't want to mess with the WSM my suggestion would be to cook it at the higher temp without the glaze to a 155 internal. If you can get a cooler ready and double thickness of hd foil ready on top of that and (if she's amenable) she could pull it at the target temp, drop it on the foil, wrap it well, toss a towel on it, and cover the cooler. It'll stay hot for hours and she won't have to worry about the potential of coal/vent/temp issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back