Re: Pizza

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello Mr. Low N Slow,

The waterpan or heat shield in the baking picture is a deep metal pie pan from K-Mart. It measures 11-1/2 inch across the od and is about 2-1/4 inch deep. It is the largest pan that I could get under the Grid Extender and to install it, a fellow needs to place it on the standard cooking grid first and then clip the Grid Extender to the standard grid over the top of this pan as there is not enough room to put the two grids together first and then slide the pan between the two grids. I feel that the pan will definitely improve your baking in this cooker and give you less of a chance of burning the crust before the top of your pizza or bread is done. It will also produce a more even browning as you can see in the Kolach picture.

If it's not too much of a problem, I would like to know a few more details of your pizza bake on the WSM. What was the size of your hearth stone you used in this bake? Did you make the dough fresh or purchase it? What kind of pizza toppings did you use in this bake? Other than not using the waterpan or heat shield, were there any other problems with this bake? Did you like the light smoke flavor from the lump in the pizza?

Thanks for giving baking on the WSM a try and I hope you were satisfied with the results from this first bake. Be more than happy to answer any other questions that you might have on this baking method in the WSM.

Regards,

Dave

My understanding from Dave is that no water is used in the pie pan. The pan is used simply to deflect heat from the bottom of the pizza stone.

By the way, thanks for bringing to my attention the issue of the WSM water pan not fitting under the grid extender. I've updated that information in the Baking topic.

Let us know how the next batch turns out. If you do some flatbread, post that info in a separate topic; I'll be looking forward to reading about it.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back