Re-heating Pulled pork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Wicklund

I smoked two Butt's Finnished at 10:00am this morning. It turned out great! (John Henry's Pecon Rub)

Im going on my second year it's been a blast Thanks to everyone for getting me started.

Ribs go on in the morning for a 1:00 party. What's the best way to reheat the Pulled Pork? I have a crockpot & a slow cooker. Any one know the difference?

-Eric (mpls)

I reheat mine in a crock pot. Comes out great. You can add a little A J or chicken broth to it if it's a little dry. Bryan

Like Bryan said
icon_wink.gif

Depends on how you're storing the PP. Unsealed in a fridge, it will tend to try out a bit. Sealed in ziplocks is good and you may want a spritz or 2 of AJ. Reheating in a microwave will work this way, but break the seal on the ziplock. Reheating on 3,4 or even 5 works good.
icon_smile.gif

Microwave as Bill says does well. CP is also good, but it's a slow process. Reheating with moisture in a low temp oven, 250, is good for a large portion. Probably would take 45 min or so. If your slow cooker is one of those 18 qt deals it would probably also work well with temp set around 250 to 275. Don't forget some moisture because you don't want it to dry out. If you're reheating a large portion in an oven, tightly sealing your pan with HD foil might help retain the moisture.

Paul

I just finished 4 butts. I have 2 butts (probably around 6qts after pulling) that I am taking to work tomorrow for lab lunch.

I am going to take a CP to reheat in. How much liquid do I need to reheat 6qts of pork and how long will it take to reheat?

Reheating is a snap when you vacuum seal and freeze. I use the model 750 Food Saver and it works great.

I have sliced or pulled pork let sit to about 100 degrees, vacuum sealed and put in freezer.

Anytime I dont want to cook I pull a package out and drop in a pot of boiling water for 30 to 45 minutes and WoW ... tastes as good as the day it was cooked. At least it does in my opinion.

Craig,

That's exactly what I do. I think the foodsaver does a great job on the pulled pork. I give them to friends to enjoy and every one of them loves the boiling bag concept.

I'll chime in on the Food Saver boil-in-da-bag. I've done the microwave and it's good, but the FS way tastes just like the day it was cooked.

If you do use a microwave, be careful to use a low setting and leave it in for the minimum amount of time necessary. It will easily overcook. Likewise if boiling, remove once it boils because it will also overcook that way - learned from experience
icon_smile.gif

Paul

yup, sure will eh Paul? I said it before and I'll mention it again, I love the microwave for smaller portions of pulled pork using nearly sealed containers. Tupperware Rock 'N Serve or this: cram pack a Corelle bowl with PP, turn upside down on a Corelle plate, nuke, use a pairing knife to carefully lift the bowl (to avoid steam scald) off the plate. Place parsly, or whatever around the outside edge of plate, serve with tongs. The meat stays molded the shape of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back