re: Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Perry

I made the Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts from the website tonight, but had a hard time getting the temp down to the 250-270 range with the water pan empty as the instructions call for. I wound up filling the pan up with hot tap water and the temp came down into range, but w/o the water the cooker was chugging along at 350.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Perry

Perry - I made 5 chicken breasts on my WSM tonight and didn't have any problems. It was actually the first time I had ever cooked without my water pan and it came out so good that I don't think I would put it back when doing chicken. I lit almost a full chimney, let is get close to greying over and then dumped it in, added a piece of apple wood and put the cover on for about 10 minutes and shut my bottom vents..after 10 or so it was about 290 - 300, I took the lid off, put the chicken on and the temp hung right about 250 - 260 the whole time. I had neighbors on each side asking what I was making..the fat dripping down onto the coals and the apple wood made a great smell that is still lingering in my house right now.

Perry,
Did you shut down your bottom vents? It would be unusual and a sign of an air leak if you can't bring the temp down by shutting the bottom vents even without water in the pan. But hey, if a little watter got you to where you needed to be, don't worry about it.

How did the chicken turn out?

At first I followed what the directions of the recipe from the website said, which was to initially leave all vents open, and water apn in, but empty. After about 20 minutes with temps running at 350-400 I closed the bottom vents which brought things to between 300 and 350. Only after I filled the water pan with hot tap water it settled down to about 280, then after adding the chicken it ran at 250 for a solid hour of cooking time.

I guess if the water works and the chicken came out terrific that all really is okay. I brined in a water/salt/sugar mixture, then added a light rub using Paradise Ridge's rub. After about 50 minutes I mopped and turned the chicken and mopped then with a Honey/Tomato based bbq sauce.

I really don't think there is a leak as when I do long cooks it is rather simple to maintain temp, but I've been wrong before.

I

Perry

Back