Raw looking chicken around the joints?

Stephen T

TVWBB Member
I cooked up some chickes that I'd butterflied, then halved the other day. I accidentally overcooked them where I was getting a breast reading in the high 160's. They came out tasty, but in the thigh joints the meat looks almost raw. I've heard of "bloody joints," but I'm not sure if it's a problem, if this is part of the smoking process and NBD or if it's a problem.

Take a look at the second paragraph here:

Chicken Selection & Preparation: When Is Chicken Done?

It's possible for it to look bad even when cooked right.

Some people make a cut into that joint before cooking to help minimize that bloody look. I also remember that during Dr. BBQ's Q&A session here on the BB in June, he said that chicken is the only meat he lets sit at room temp for a while before cooking in order to reduce this problem. You might let that bird sit on the counter while you're firing-up your cooker.

Regards,
Chris

I had read an article somewhere about raw looking chicken. It stated because some birds have been given quick enhanceing growth what ever. The bones of the chickens was not as hard. In turn which when cooking they seem to leak blood. Thus giving them a raw look. Maybe even a under cook feeling but they are fine. Can't remember where I seen it but it the article won me $20.oo on a bet.

Something else you can do to help this problem is to bend the thigh/leg joints until you pop the joint open before cooking. That will allow extra heat into the joint.

All very good suggestions and one more thing to do is take your finish internal temps in the thick part of thigh, should read 175 to 180.
Jim

Back