Raspberry pi Zero W + Arduino Nano headless Heater Meter problems

Hello, testing again tonight. It appears the Canakit 5 volt 2.5 amp power adapter has an issue with running this setup. I've tried two different ones and switched to a love R Pi one and it doesn't trip as nearly as much. This one runs 5-10 mins the Canakit was tripping about every few minutes. Nano is being powered by 3.3 volts. I also switched to a Pi 2 model B and it still tripped with the Canakit power supply.

That's nuts it should never trip the power supply. The circuit I built yesterday to test for you has been running since yesterday morning and has not rebooted at all. Checking with the FLIR, nothing is warm but the CPU and Ethernet chip on the device. I got nothin' else I can help with, sorry.

Yeah, It doesn't make since. I'll keep messing with it. I tried your setup like you have with a Pi 3 also that's a big no go. It doesn't hardly trip much at all working with the Pi 2 model B. Are you using the Maverick Probe model Pr-005? Like I have. I wouldn't think the resistors I have that are 5% 10 k would make a difference? It looks like the Heatermeter uses 10k 1%. That and the bench power supply I think are the only differences between what you put together and what I have here. Thanks a ton for your time.
Adam.

A 10k resistor is a 10k resistor in this sense. Even if you had a 10% tolerance resistor you're looking at 9k-11k resistance which is going to amount to a max 0.066mA current draw difference. That's not going to cause a power problem.

I plugged an el cheapo no name 5V 1A power supply in instead of the bench power supply and it works fine on the B+ with ethernet and wifi (which is the most power it can draw). You're not seeing a power supply problem, you're seeing a problem whose effects are happening at the power supply because you can't see what is causing the actual problem. Are you touching the device at all while doing these tests? Bear in mind that the braid of the probe carries current and is connected to ground so if it touches anything, even another something on the desk that is plugged in, you're creating a short.

The probe type doesn't matter either, if you're saying to reboots with just the 10k resistor, there's no probe involved, right?

Yes, the part about just the 10k connected it correct. The probe it’s laying on the table touching only the table . I don’t see this working out. Is there a way or buy just the base board pcb and the components from Mouser and building just the headless unit itself?

The baseboard and lcd board are sold together, but the price is pretty minimal. You could also go with the v4.2 board as it’s cheaper than the 4.3. No feature differences between them. Just need to use the older Pi B or a Zero W with the 4.2 since the B+, 2 and 3 won’t marry up to the v4.2 board.

Ok, thanks Steve. Just an update on the testing. I got a bench power supply and the Pi 3 does not trip running on the bench top supply. But has problems with the two different 5 volt 2.5 A micro USB adapters I have. I not sure what to think. Bryan was right it’s only pulling 250ma on the bench top supply.

Not all power supplies are created equal, I've been suggesting this for a long time now, you can't compare a cheap china wall wart to a real bench power supply.

Back