raspberry pi problem

I'm glad you fixed it! I have a hard time diagnosing hardware problems because it really can be _anything_ but you provided good detailed observations. It is really hard when someone details are vague. For posterity, what was wrong? I want to gather all this up at some point and make a wiki page about what to look at. I don't take donations because I don't want folks to feel like I'm selling anything. The best thing about this forum is that I haven't met one jerk yet, which is pretty rare as far the Internet goes. I'm always happy to help and try to come up with ways to prevent people from having issues by making hardware/software mods. In fact, your issue made me re-examine the automatic avrupdate process and I wrote some new code that will hopefully greatly reduce that frustration in LinkMeter 8 and beyond.

Part of my problems were not being a linux person. Another part is that this project took me way out of my comfort zone and that was a good thing. The avrupdate thing was confusing to me but made sense when you brought it up. I had thought I had done the software part ok but I think that after reading through so many different pages of information from so many people that I just got confused. I think that my biggest problem was not getting all my soldering done well coupled with being a little older and needing more light and magnification. When I had to start using glasses 20 years ago I realized that I also needed more light. Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome and your support was awesome. One thing that I haven't finished yet is dealing with the wifi. I have everything working with hardwire ethernet at this point. One question, can you use both hardwire and wireless at the same time? Something tells me that you can't but I don't remember the details. When we redo our patio area I will definitely run cat5 or cat6 out there. Our current back porch (small covered patio area) is where I do my cooking now and I will be running power and cat5 to that area asap. I do it for a living anyway.

Again, thanks for all your help. One thought I just had was that I would have been better of to make notes of the things that worked and what didn't.

The wifi and the wired can't be used at the same time, but you can set them both to DHCP and as long as you boot with only one connected, it should work. Ralph has a report of them both working at the same time (both plugged in) but my network experience tells me it shouldn't. I'm not the last word in networking by any means though so I could very likely be wrong. See my explanation and experiment why I think it shouldn't here.

This whole project is outside of my comfort zone, which is why I started it. Learn a little and make BBQ at the same time? I'm in!

"This whole project is outside of my comfort zone, which is why I started it. Learn a little and make BBQ at the same time? I'm in! "

Amen to that!!!

Bryan, a few more thoughts. Your responses with the specific charts and the one with the voltages were extremely helpful. I think those made all the difference. I did not find them in the wiki, but there is a lot to look at. Your grasp of what to display and how to word it in a non complex way is genius.

I'm right there with you Bob, not being up to speed with Linux, that's one thing I really enjoyed about this project, pushing myself outside my comfort zone...

I also needed lots of light and a magnifying glass to make sure the solder work was all done well. I've mentioned this before, I really don't care for the purple color of the board, it looks nice and all but once you solder up the board the color is too dark (as opposed to say the standard green boards) and it is very hard to see the solder joints clearly with the naked eye. So it may be partially that we are getting older, but the HM board is hard to see and does have some solder joints that are very close together. That and the fact that there are traces on both sides of the board (and solder doesn't seem to like to flow between them) makes the HM board not the easiest thing in the world to solder up.... and I've done LOTS of soldering...

On the network issue, I see no reason from a hardware standpoint that both network adapters can't be used, though I admit I am less than a novice as far as Linux and the HeaterMeter code goes. I've done lots of networking with Window's and there is no problem assigning static IP's to multiple devices (or multiple IP's to a single device for that matter), so I did not approach the WiFi/LAN setup on the rPi with any caution or expectation of difficulty when set them both up.

For me it went very smoothly, I first set my pc to have the IP 192.168.200.XX, then connected it to the rPi with a Cat5 cable. I then used the HM interface to setup its connection to my WiFi network, then set the static IP for the WiFi that I wanted (192.168.1.99). I unplugged the Cat5 Cable and tested the Wifi connection (good). Finally I went back and set a static IP for the wired LAN that I wanted (192.168.1.98). I tested connection to the HM web page over both IP's and it connected fine with both, I had no problems at all. I've booted the rPi with just the LAN cable connected (no WiFi), with just the WiFi connected (no LAN cable), and with both WiFi and LAN cables connected, in every scenario it seemed to work perfectly. I've also connected to the rPi via PuTTY from a PC that is wired to the WiFi router and it connected fine on both the LAN and the WiFi IP's. So I've yet to see any problem....

Bryan did take the time to explain to me why it shouldn't work, and though what he said seemed to make sense, I've not had a problem using a static IP from the same block on both my WiFi and wired LAN on my rPi....

PS Speaking of outside the comfort zone. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 3D printer, I know Bryan has just made the move himself as well. Now THAT is gonna be well outside the comfort zone! LOL

Last edited:
i use wifi and lan at the same time.... wifi is my access point and my lan is in client mode... i can also use two wifi adapters at the same time.... in the development log i posted a save of my configuration for wifi and lan

I just got my wifi network back up and running. Think I have a problem with my access point. That said, I changed some of the settings on my HM4 and I can now access both my Cat5 and WiFi at the same time. Not sure why Bryan said it can't be done, but mine is working. Go figure. That said, what Bryan has designed here is genius. Can't wait to get my case and use it. If I cook in the meantime, I will just put it in a plastic bag and to to town.

Ralph, good luck with that printer. My kids keep reminding me I am getting old, but I am not dead for many more years. Keep doing things out of my comfort zone and all will be good. Given the state of the economy, I am again reinventing myself and my business. It is tougher as you get older, but in the long run it works. Us older guys need to show the younger guys that we still got it to.

Back