Randy's jerky recipe...it came out great!

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
....about the amounts. First off, does the ts mean teaspoon or tablespoon, secondly, for 5 pounds of meat(this is what the recipe calls for) how much tenderquick do I use? Randy's webpage calls for 1 ts of tenderquick, but the tenderquick bag says 1 Tbsp for each pound of meat. Maybe I'm just not understanding the page right...anyone??

ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron F:
....about the amounts. First off, does the ts mean teaspoon or tablespoon, secondly, for 5 pounds of meat(this is what the recipe calls for) how much tenderquick do I use? Randy's webpage calls for 1 ts of tenderquick, but the tenderquick bag says 1 Tbsp for each pound of meat. Maybe I'm just not understanding the page right...anyone??

ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It appears that he uses the abbreviation "ts" for teaspoon and "Tbsp" for tablespoon.

USDA regulations call for 4 oz of cure per 100 lbs of meat which works out to 1 teaspoon pre 5 lbs. I'm not real familiar with Tenderquick, but if it's the same thing as Prague Powder #2 (6.25% Sodium Nitrite) the same should apply.

Tender Quick has salt, sugar, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite.

Prague powder #1 or Instacure #1 is 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat. It has 6.25% sodium nitrite only in a salt carrier. It requires more Tender Quick to cure meat than it does Instacure. I've seen sausage recipes that call for around 3 tablespoons per 6 pounds with Mortons TQ. I don't use it because of the sugar.

Jerky came out great! Can't wait to do more....

I followed the recipe's to a T. The hot and spicy is my favorite...

ron

Oh yes, I followed the direction on the tenderquick bag and put in one tbsp. of tenderquick for each pound of meat....

Back