Random Question - Hail Dents

KyleA

We had some large hail in the area a couple weeks ago. I noticed a couple small dents in the lids of my Performer and WSM. When I asked the insurance company about adding those to the claim, he asked me to get an estimate for repair. I assumed they would just need to be replaced... I'm not likely to actually have the work done or replace them, but who would you go to for repair? Thanks!

Me! But when insurance gets the estimate they would be replaced.
To be serious, I would probably pass on the repair if contacted locally.
I charge more to fix a dent 1” and smaller then the cost of a replacement lid. It would be cheaper to replace it if it is still available. Hail is estimated differently on cars but this isn’t a car.
Prices start at $150 for a ding that is 1” and smaller. Pricing in your area may be different?
If you are ambitious find a wooden broomstick and trim it down to about 6”-8”. Apply heat to the outside of the lid with a heat gun. With cars I usually heat up to 150 degrees but with Porcelain you could heat up higher. Place the lid on top of a sandbag or at the very least a pillow.
Feel for the damage on the inside of the lid and gently tap it back out. That’s exactly how I would approach it if it was mine.
Don’t expect it to be perfect.

Yeah, these are tiny dents and I'd likely forego any headache involved with repairing them. Just adding to the laundry list of damages from the storm, and trying to provide the insurance company what they are asking for. No lids on the Weber site, but I've been in contact with customer service and they are in the process of sorting me out. :)

Yeah, these are tiny dents and I'd likely forego any headache involved with repairing them. Just adding to the laundry list of damages from the storm, and trying to provide the insurance company what they are asking for. No lids on the Weber site, but I've been in contact with customer service and they are in the process of sorting me out. :)
I’m sure if you google “paintless dent repair“ in your area you can find someone local. They may be willing to write up an estimate for you based off pictures? I would if it were me.
If they do it would be backup for the insurance company to get replacement lids. It’s probably a couple hundred dollars worth in replacing them at minimum and if you already have a claim submitted for other things I don’t see a reason not to include them.

I think that paintless dent repair is only possible on painted steel (like a car door for example), and will not work on enamled steel.

Back