Rancher vs Kingsford Competition

Craig A

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to try my first overnight smoke this weekend, a 7.5 lb boston butt. I need to pick a charcoal for this smoke, I'll be using briquetts but I haven't decided which type to use.

So far the only charcoal I've smoked with is Kingsford Competition. I like it, but it's expensive so I picked up a few bags of Rancher from Trader Joe's for a much more reasonable price ($6.50/18lb vs $9/13lb).

Part of me wants to I just stick with what I know and use the K Comp for my first overnighter, but I'm itching to open those Rancher bags.

If I use Rancher for the overnight smoke, what differences should I expect vs what I'm used to from Kingsford Competition? Does it light slower/faster, burn slower/faster or hotter/colder, etc?

I wouldn't worry about any difference in performance. I use the TJ charcoal,never used Comp K, but how much difference can there really be? I'd do what you always do. Fill the ring full, start with `20-25 lit,add the meat without waiting for temps to rise, catch your target range on the way up and off you go. I've not had to add fuel smoking butt using the TJ charcoal.

I love Rancher and would use it over Kingsford Comp everytime. I would not expect any differences that would be cause for concern-I alway get a long even cook with Rancher so that is what I would expect.

Back