Rancher Temps

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I have only done a handful of cooks so far with my WSM. All of them with Kingsford until yesterday. After hearing all the praises about Rancher on this board, I went out and got about 15 bags of it for $2.99 a bag.

With the Rancher it seems like my temps were higher than I was used to. I was using the Minion Method and my temps quickly got up to about 250 at the lid. Them I had a hard time holding them there. Cooked with the bottom vents closed most of the day to keep lid temp under 275 or 280.

Anybody else noticed higher temps with Rancher?

Lee
I'm a new wsm owner. I started cooking on it in
May, started with Rancher, only thing I've used in it. I find that the 250-280 range is what i get using the minion method with all bottom vents closed after about 30 minutes. It never gets lower than the 250 during a 14-20 hour cook. Cooking some "good eats" though.
I'm down to 2 bags of Rancher and HDs in my area
(3) have not had any since mid-July.
Jerry P in Prattville, AL

You should be able to cook at lower temps, you most likely have air leaking in elsewhere. Check the door to make sure it's sealed well, no large gaps between the sections, etc.

I did some ribs using Rancher over the weekend with my Stoker, was able to maintain 220 at the grate for 5 hours with no issues.

Rancher seems to come up to temps faster than Kingsford, so you may want to start managing down the temps faster as they come up.

But inherently, it doesn't burn any hotter than kingsford. Just make sure that when doing minion method you start clamping down the vents a little earlier - like 20-30 degrees lower than you want your final temp to be.

- Adam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
Lee
I'm a new wsm owner. I started cooking on it in
May, started with Rancher, only thing I've used in it. I find that the 250-280 range is what i get using the minion method with all bottom vents closed after about 30 minutes. It never gets lower than the 250 during a 14-20 hour cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you measuring the temp at the top or at the grate?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cooking some "good eats" though.
I'm down to 2 bags of Rancher and HDs in my area
(3) have not had any since mid-July.
Jerry P in Prattville, AL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My sympathies on the lack of rancher my friend

I agree with Adam, I think it does come up to temp a little faster. I did a butt Sat and was up to 200 in no time, tweaked the vents and let it go. It was pinned on 225 for 12 hours; probably the easiest smoke I've attempted. I should add that I went with the clay pan option also.

It does come up to temp FAST! I have also found that if you use less hot coals with the minion method, it will not shoot straight up to 250. I did tis yesterday and was at the 225 range for my good. Also, you can try using cold water in you water pan. This will absorb more heat for you. Good luck!

I usually keep the vents half closed right from the start, then I start closing them down about 20 or 30 degrees below my target temp. I have no problem maintaining a steady 250 at the lid for 12+ hours. The Rancher will be a little more sensitive to extra air though, so make sure everything fits together tight. This is doing the Minion method with a clay pot base.

I was measuring temp at the lid, not the grate.
I have a pyrex candy therm mounted on the vent top. Its accurate according to the boiling water check. I use about 20 coals to start the minion method. just cant seem to get it down to 220-230. but i get good results at the 250 range temps.
I'll try shutting the vents earlier and using cold water (thinking about trying the clay pot)
Thanks
Jerry p

Try using only 10 lit coals. When I first got my WSM back in May, I would put in 20 or more hot coals and always had a tough time fighting temp even with all bottom vents closed. Now I only use about 10 to 15 which has made the job easier.

Even with just 10, using the air vents will get your cooker up to temp quickly enough IMO. As others have said, cut back the vents at 200 and monitor and adjust till you get to a steady temp.

My cooker sits on a hot patio so that is a factor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joh:
Try using only 10 lit coals. When I first got my WSM back in May, I would put in 20 or more hot coals and always had a tough time fighting temp even with all bottom vents closed. Now I only use about 10 to 15 which has made the job easier.

Even with just 10, using the air vents will get your cooker up to temp quickly enough IMO. As others have said, cut back the vents at 200 and monitor and adjust till you get to a steady temp.

My cooker sits on a hot patio so that is a factor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, but more importantly base your lit coals to how much meat your loading in to the WSM when using the MM. For example if your just doing one butt then 5-8 is plenty to start with. 2 butts 8-10 is plenty. OK now you are loading it up, I got 6 butts in there at 34 degrees right out of the fridge, then 20 should work for you. The more cold meat you put in then bump up the amount of lit coals a little. They light fast off of one another and so does the smoke wood that in there, so a little bit of lit coals goes along way.
icon_wink.gif

Just sent HD third email asking them to stock some Rancher around here again. All gone for 2 months in 3 stores.
All have lots of K. I guess K kind of has a "lock" at HD

Back