Rancher Charcoal

Rick Angiel

TVWBB Fan
Saw Rancher Charcoal, made by "he Original Charcoal Company", at Home Depot tonight. It is supposed to be an all natural briquette made from hardwood and yucca starch. It was selling for 4.99 for a 20-lb bag. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I don't know about Rancher Charcoal, but I tried Sams Choice Charcoal from WalMart yesterday. It's about $ 4.85 for 18-lbs. I used a full ring to cook a corned beef brisket. Started with the Minion method, the WSM stayed in the 240F range for 12-hours with only one vent adjustment.

Rusty

was it briquets or lump I looked on their website and only saw lump..but you mentioned yucca starch as a binder..binders are in briquets

Briquettes...

According to the bag, 100% All Natural Briquette Charcoal. It also states "This is the ultimate briquette. For those who are more comfortable with briquette, but want the lump flavor, heat, and length of burn profile of hardwood charcoal."

I like lump, but since I don't have a huge selection here in Central Florida, I thought I'd give is a try.

I tried it last night..good charcoal but didnt have the real wood smell like lump does.

I saw the same stuff at the Home Depot on sale for $2.99 and bought a bag for grins Thursday evening. I typically only use Kingsford but at $2.99 for 20 lbs. I thought it was worth a try. I smoked some BB's on Friday and a 12.5 lb. Brisket today and actually have some left in the bag. I was really impressed with it's temp control and longevity and as the Brisket was resting, I went back to Home Depot and bought 10 more bags.

I had my head up my, well you get the picture. I went a day late to get some at the sale price.

I used a bag for the first time last week. I poured a 20# bag in and threw on the butts and all I can say is wow. I walked away from the smoker for 15 hours and it was still at 260 when I came back. When using K I ususally throwing on unlit around 12 hours. At 22 hours I came back and it was 300. I opened to see how much charcoal was left there couldn't have been more than 6 pieces of charcoal in there and they were smaller than an old silver dollar.

I just wish I didn't botch up buying some when it was on sale.

I was out walking around the smoker after it got going. I had oak and cherry on the fire. Man I just happened to get in the right spot I could really smell the cherry. I definately like the stuff and the price as well. I will be buying more of it. I will probobly pick up a pallet if/when it goes on sale again.

Back