Rancher Charcoal on four butts

V. Roberts

TVWBB Member
I read the thread "Rancher Charcoal - First Overnighter" and Chris K used it on four butts; which is the way I cook too, but without any assistance from an automatic temperature controller. I have done many overnight cooks but this is the first one with Rancher Charcoal.
I probably use more smoke wood than most but I also use parchment paper under each butt.

I don't think I have seen much mention about ash from Rancher. I gave Sam's Choice Charcoal a try but I thought there was way too much ash; more than Kingsford.

I would appreciate it if you guy's and gal's would chime in your thoughts on the Rancher's ash.

Val

You'll get a good amount of ash just as you would with any briquette, But it will be less than Kingsford.

I did an overnight with rancher about two weeks ago. Smoked six butts. Temps held really well and not a lot of ash like Kingsford

I did read that Rancher's lump was pretty high on the list at NakedWhiz's site for ash production, I'm assuming the briquettes are made from the same charcoal but who knows. It will be less ash then you get from the K since there aren't a lot of extras in the briquettes.

If I were to guesstimate it I would say it produces about 2/3 the ash that K does.

Oh by the way I went to HD about an hour ago to pick up a few more bags of Rancher. When I was there a few weeks ago I had to hunt down the rancher. I had 3 different CSR's tell me they don't have it anymore. I went there first today and the dozen or so bags that were there are gone. I walk down the main aisle to the seasonal area. Almost there I see a gas grill at the end of the row. Right there beside it a full pallet of rancher. Score! I look at the price tag and think Score again. $3.75 a bag. Wow! I wish I had the back of my truck cleaned out. I would have bought the whole pallet. I stacked a cart full (24) for $96 and some change. Check your prices.

A few comments on this:

1. I think the ash is a bit finer...and blows around easier than Kingsford.

2. It seems to burn LESS briquettes than Kingsford to achieve the same results.

Long time lump user here. The Rancher briqs from my information that I've been able to gather is made from the Lump dust and from the small lump pieces that don't make the grade. That said lump produces a very light and fluffy ash, which upon first glance looks like alot but in reality is very minimal once knocked down.
icon_wink.gif
And I have bought 12 bags of the Rancher so far. At $2.99 a 20 how can you go wrong.
icon_biggrin.gif

I ONLY use Kingsford and have for the last 25 years!! No need to change now; can't teach an old dog new tricks!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Baker:
I ONLY use Kingsford and have for the last 25 years!! No need to change now; can't teach an old dog new tricks!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, the Kingsford people seemed to learn some new tricks.
icon_razz.gif
They were a pretty old dog.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad M. Anders:
I don't know, the Kingsford people seemed to learn some new tricks.
icon_razz.gif
They were a pretty old dog. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>New Tricks?? Yes

Improvement?? I'm not sure
icon_confused.gif

Thanks all for the replies. I have a small family Q tomorrow and I'll be doing four butts (they always like to take some home with them) I'll find out what the Rancher's like. It sounds like I'll be going back for more.

Val

Back