Rancher Charcoal - First Overnighter

I hope this is as good as advertised. I picked up 10 bags @4.99 each in the Burnsville, Mn store. I left the last 8 bags there. They said that is all they are getting. I'm going to try it this weekend and I'll report back, thanks.

The HD by the house here in Rio Rancho NM had about a pallet and a half left two weeks ago, so I bought 6 bags (used one last weekend). I asked if they would be stocking on a regular basis and was told the shipment they received was sent by corporate and they most likley would not be re-stocked once this supply is exhausted (confirms what Ron said about a "sell-through promotion"). I guess I need to get a few more bags if they still have them.

Does charcoal go bad sitting in the garage? If I lived in a high humidity area I would be worried. Since NM is very dry, I assume I'm ok?? True/false?

Bob W.

when it was on sale i bought 7 bags.
they still have at least 2 pallets left.
i'm hoping that they put it on sale again.
then i'll stock up for next year.
goos stuff. a little sparky if disturbed
but no biggy.

I got the last 12 that my Home Depot had. If I could find it I would buy another 20 bags. Charcoal doesnt go bad if stored properly. I stock it in my dry cool basement on top of a sheet of plastic to prevent moisture from getting at it. Just to demonstrate how well it stores I can tell you I just used the last of the "good kingsford" that I had stored away. With a ranck kettle, a WSM and 3 sizes of platinum grills to keep fed year round I use alot of briquets.

I did my first overnighter this weekend with Rancher...19 hrs of 230-260F (I increased at the end)...using my Stoker.

At the 15 hr mark, I asked for temp to go from 240 to 260 to help finish the two butts faster...there was NO problem.

I never opened the WSM the entire 19 hrs. In fact, I havent even checked how much Rancher is left..probably not too much but with Kingsford, I would have had to open the door or even stir it to get the temps up that late in the cook.

I love this stuff!

My local HD still has about a pallet of this stuff left. I've got some Kingsford left even in an open bag, but I'm going to cook with Rancher this week just to see if it's worth stocking up on a few bags before it's gone.

I haven't had any trouble with the new Kingsford though (although it's a little pricey these days). A few months back I did a 20-hour cook without adding fuel.

I called a local Home Depot in the Kansas City area and asked them to look up the SKU 990-347 to see if any stores had it in stock.

I was told that that SKU is currently inactive, meaning *no* stores in this region have the product.

Have sent a followup email to the folks at originalcharcoal.com, asking if there are any other retail sources in this area. Will post if I get any useful information.

Back