Ran out of smoke?

Jamie Ward

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone. I'm currently smoking some ribs on my 22" WSM. This is my first smoke with this new rig.

My question is why do you think I am no longer getting any smoke? I'm now on my third hour of this smoke. I started today with the Minion Method. One hundred briquets, 3 fist size chunks of apple, one hundred more briquets, 6 6" long 1" sticks of apple, then topped with about 50 lit briquets.

My temperature has been rock solid (I must say I am quite impressed), but the smoke just ran out. Nothing floating up at all. I've stirred the coals gently a few times and that works for a minute or two but that's it.

I'm wondering should I be adding more wood along the way or is this to be expected and is normal.

Thanks for the tips!

last weekend i did back ribs too that turn out really well with 4 fist size chunk of maple wood.

I think that after 3 hours there was no more smoke either and i must say it was smoked enough to my taste ...

ribs aren't that thick so it is not very long for the smoke to enter the meat ...

I think that is i were you i would keep cooking without smoke ...

If you can SMELL the smoke, you're still getting some. But as Louis said, after 3 hours it's no big deal. I find that big chunks tend not to give off a lot of smoke after some time also. I've started using smaller chunks and if I have doubt or need more smoke (like when adding new meat late), I just throw some small chunks ON TOP.

Anyone know if the ash from briquettes absorbs smoke?

Rich

Welcome to the forum Jamie!

I agree with Louis I'd say you are dialed in smoke wise. When my smoker is running perfectly, it emits "wispy blue smoke" every once in a while.

You are probably getting some smoke flavor anyway, just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not happening.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ribs aren't that thick so it is not very long for the smoke to enter the meat ...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smoke doesn't enter meat. Smoke particles cling to the meat's surface. Ribs have lots of surface area in relation to their mass. That's why it doesn't take a lot of smoke to make ribs taste smokey.

It is visable in the beginning and as the cook goes along it isn't really visable anymore. There is nothing wrong...it's called blue smoke. You still have the charcoal or lump going and you may still have wood chunks in there burning but with so much stuff now lit and burning the actual visable smoke dies out.

Jamie, Welcome to the forum. I never knew anyone who counted their briquets. I don't quite know how to respond.

As far as smoke goes, once the surface temp of the meat hits about 140 the meat stops absorbing smoke. At least thats my understanding. I would say if you are getting 3 hrs of visable smoke it may be too much. Thin blue smoke and not much of it is the holly grail.

Mark

For me, I like the smoke to be a note rather then a mouthful. So I only use 1 fist sized chunk. Also, I don't add it until the smoker has come up to temp and I've dialed the vents down to near nothing. This will give me about 3 hours of smoke scent but without the actual white smoke.

For my diners who prefer more smoke, I get it with more air, more flame, and more wood. So I use less lit coals, and I leave the vents more open. I add wood whenever I can't see it anymore.

The WSM does a great job with adding smoke taste.
Its not like the big offset smokers were you have a factory of smoke during the cook.

I bet you will like the 3 chunks smoke flavor.
No need to add more. If you still not happy with the taste you know that to the next run.

Apple is not so strong in taste. so if you are happy with the resault,3 chunks of another "stronger" wood will maby be to mutch.

1st 2-4 hours is all that matters, after that you are just building up bitter smoke layers on the surface. As others have noted after 140 meat temp the smoke ring stops as does the good smoke flavor, 2-3 chunks is all you need for good results. I use pecan, apple, maple or cherry only and split the pieces into 1" sticks and bury most under the lit and add a piece or 2 next to the lit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
Jamie, Welcome to the forum. I never knew anyone who counted their briquets. I don't quite know how to respond.
Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! I only know that because I also got the Weber Chimney starter the same day as my new smoker. I wanted to figure out exactly how many briquets would fill the Quickstart Chimney. Turns out it's about 100.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Ward:
briquets would fill the Quickstart Chimney. Turns out it's about 100. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABOUT 100????? I woulda thunk you would know exactly!
Only kiddin'
icon_wink.gif

Back