Rainy Day Meatloaf

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
I was home sick today and it's been drizzling all day, so I needed some comfort food and decided I wanted a smoked meatloaf. I mixed together 1.5lbs of ground chuck, 2 Italian Sausage links, half of a red onion, 2 eggs, worcestershire sauce, Reverend Marvins Hot BBQ Sauce, Seasonings and a little ketchup. Mixed it all together and put it in a plastic container and let sit in the fridge for a couple hours to set up. Put it on the cooker and it will go at 250* until it hits 160*.

All right. I haven't had meatloaf in a long while. Stop this post!
icon_biggrin.gif

Need more pics Larry
icon_smile.gif

Oh man, it has been a couple of months. That sounds really good.

I made a salmon loaf last weekend that was really good. I have a small tuna loaf on right now after Bryan S gave me the idea in another thread. I am about 10 minutes away and my mouth is starting to water.
icon_biggrin.gif
Anticipaaaation.

Meatloaf if done and turned out pretty good! Basted with a 50/50 of Ketchup and Rev's Hot. We also did some baby carrots with butter, honey and my seasoning.

I'd lay out sick from work for one of those.
Meatloaf is something I'll have to give a try.
Thanks for the pics.

Larry,
You said you cooked this meatloaf at 250*. What differences in the finished product have you noted, if any, at 250 vs ~325-350?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Larry,
You said you cooked this meatloaf at 250*. What differences in the finished product have you noted, if any, at 250 vs ~325-350? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the texture comes out a little different when cooking them at lower temps. I feel cooking meatloaves at higher temps tends to "boil/force" the fat out and the lower temps will allow the fats to slowly render out the fat, leaving a very moist, tender and smooth texture.

Larry,
Looks great..never thought of doing a meatloaf on the smoker.
Abuot how long a cook is it to get to 160?
Have a great weekend
icon_cool.gif

WSM
Genesis Silver C
Smokey Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reinknecht D:
Larry,
Looks great..never thought of doing a meatloaf on the smoker.
Abuot how long a cook is it to get to 160?
Have a great weekend
icon_cool.gif

WSM
Genesis Silver C
Smokey Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!

After everything was added the loaf was a little over 2lbs and it took about 2 hours at 250*

Have a great weekend yourself!

Larry

That meatloaf looks great, for a rainy or any other day feast. hope you feel better.

I'm going to mapquest to see how far it is from my house to yours. John

Funny, I was looking at this post earlier today and just came home from the store with ground beef and sausage, so I guess we'll be doing one of these tomorrow
icon_wink.gif

We tried this last summer and it was delicious.

Larry, did a meatloaf this weekend. It was supposed to be supper for Randy P and me on Thursday night at the Clarksville BBQ comp. Cooked at 260-275. It seemed like it would never get to temp. Put it on at around 4:30PM. Finally got done at 9:45PM. One of the other teams was calling it "the miracle meatloaf"
icon_biggrin.gif
. BUT, it was very good. Usually takes around 3-3 1/2 hours. Meat might have been really cold. Still can't figure it out

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Larry, did a meatloaf this weekend. It was supposed to be supper for Randy P and me on Thursday night at the Clarksville BBQ comp. Cooked at 260-275. It seemed like it would never get to temp. Put it on at around 4:30PM. Finally got done at 9:45PM. One of the other teams was calling it "the miracle meatloaf"
icon_biggrin.gif
. BUT, it was very good. Usually takes around 3-3 1/2 hours. Meat might have been really cold. Still can't figure it out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Paul! Would I be safe to assume the loaf was in the 5lb range for taking so long??

Larry, the meatloaf was a little over 3 pounds. Two lbs of ground beef and one lb of pork sausage. I did use Wallyworld hamburg which I've never done before.Even with all the "added stuff" in the meat I doubt it would affect the final product much.

Back