Rack Overload !

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi All,

Haven't been here in quite some time. Just broke out my bullet for a big BBQ tonight and have a couple Mr Brown Butts smoking away on the low rack and a bunch of baby backs (BRITU style which is really an awesome recipe) ready to go.

I actually have 8 good sized racks and am rather perplexed about how they are going to fit :-) It is certainly going to be tight!

They look great though.

Pete

For what it's worth, I managed to get all 8 racks on the top grate and the cook went very well. Following about 7 hours of 220ish smoking with Hickory, 15 people devoured, barbarian style, the BRITU recipe ribs (and an alarming amount of pull pork)

I didn't bother trying to flip the ribs during the cook as it was such a tight squeeze, but it didn't seem to have an noticable impact on them. They came out just about perfect.

Pete

I've smoked 6 racks and 2 salmons (~1.5 to 2lb fillets) all on the top grate before (had 3 more slabs flat on the bottom grate). I had a rib rack (designed to hold 4 slabs) full with two slabs leaned up against each side. Salmon fillets were flat.... man was that a squeeze!

I not trying to out do any one for I have read of even more slabs at one time ...but I smoked 13 slabs of spares on the Weber this past 4th of July... 8 on the top and 5 on the bottom... I believe I have read where others have smoked many more than that at one time... Lol... These little bullets are amazing....

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bill: I'm curious. Were there any grill/rack modifications? I have a large cook in a few weeks and will be putting on 8-9 racks.

Nah...I've only gotten a total of 10 rolled racks of BB's on...5 up, 5 down.
Eight racks on the top grate??!! Is this another subUrban legend?...I would love to see how ya do that...how bout some pics?

It is realatively easy to get 12 trimmed racks of spare ribs (actually 24 half racks) into a WSM with a basic rib rack.

I can see a guy getting 8 trimmed racks (16 half racks) onto the top grate...

you can get like 7 halfs on a rib rack... 2 halfs in fromt of the rack. 2 halfs in back of the rack. 1 half to the left of the rack and 1 to the right. With 3 half racks on laying flat on top on them all.

so that is 7 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 3 = 16 half racks = 8 Full racks on the top grate.

This evening, I am doing a similar cook...

I am doing 6 trimmed slabs for spares on the top rack with about a dozen hot links.

On the botom 2 racks, I can run 3 racks, I am puting 4 halved Boston Butts.

I agree with Gal...I want to see some pics. That includes you as well, Spyro. Yours I just gotta see.
------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I know you could get at least 8 racks per grate with a rib rack. With the additional grate added to the top I think that you could (uncomfortably) get 20 racks (8 top, 8 bottom, at least 4 on the add in grate) in the WSM.

Howdy,

When you all are cooking that many slabs, do you just follow a simple cook of basting every two hours and ignore foil, 3-2-1 method, etc?

Also, how do you keep everything from touching when cramming so much in, or does this not really matter once putting some sauce on the ribs?

Thanks all
Troy

Okay Chris, I looked at the pics...I counted 7 half racks in one pic and maybe 9 on the other (it looked like two racks on top of the 7). That makes 7-9 half racks...not even close to whats being claimed here...C'mon guys...I want documentation here...
Is it that we are talking about half racks?? If so, I can get 5 full racks per grill surface, could probably squeeze on 6. I just can't for the life of me, figure out how you could get on so much more.
Proof guys...C'mon, lets see it....

This is how us woodworkers "sticker" wood to allow good airflow since uneven moisture causes wood to warp. This isn't the proof you were looking for, but seems like one way you could stack up a lot of ribs and still allow even cooking.
resawed.jpg

Randy,

The bottom pic in that link has the following...

rib_rack_in_WSM.jpg

7 half racks in the rib rack...
2 half racks flanking the rib rack...
2 half racks on top of te rib rack...

There are 11 half racks in that pic...

Real easy to squeeze another 5 half racks in there. If you wanted to, you could squeeze 7 racks in there...

that would make for 18 half racks or, in other words, 9 full racks on the top grate.

Spyro,

Thank you for your attempt to show the racks, but what you are showing me in that pic, I can get with rolled racks...much easier.
I know you say you can get 18 half racks...I wanna see it...

OOPS!!! I did make a mistake... I got out the rib rack and counted the slots and there is only seven... I would have sworn there was eight.. I only put one rack of ribs per slot so there could have only been seven on the top and six on the bottom... /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif lol... Oh well..

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back