Quick Tri Tip Dinner

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
This is another one that didn't make it onto the old TVWBB in time. This meal was actually our "dating anniversary" dinner, which we still celebrate even though we've been married for 2.5 years. This could also be called My Tribute to Penzeys as they figure into each part of the meal. We had a few new items to try because we stopped at the Philly store when we were traveling.

First up is a TT that was seasoned liberally with Penzeys new Mitchell Street Steak Seasoning. I highly recommend it. I apologize for the blurry pictures -- I never planned to post this meal because it seemed fairly ordinary, but it ended up coming out really nicely. So these are all iPhone pics.

555aae8e.jpg

And plated.

a47792c8.jpg

The salad was dressed with their Italian Dressing Base and the mashed potatoes contain some of my own buckboard bacon along with some of their horseradish powder. That's also awesome stuff.

Thanks for looking!

Great!

I like the smoke ring you got and the meat is cooked to perfection.

(We are working on 52 and 1/2. You can make it there too!)

Jon can you provide some details on the tri tip temp, time, direct/indirect? It looks perfect!. Never done one, not normally available, but my local butcher got some in this week and I am planning to try one this weekend.

Jon can you provide some details on the tri tip temp, time, direct/indirect? It looks perfect!. Never done one, not normally available, but my local butcher got some in this week and I am planning to try one this weekend.

I reverse sear. Bank coals on one side of the kettle, usually with a firebrick or two dividing the grill. Rubbed TT goes on the cool side to smoke and heat gradually, and then seared on the hot side to finish. I honestly didn't check temperatures on this, but it probably came off at 125-130. Then it rested for a good 5 minutes and I sliced it.

Great looking tri!! What are your impressions of the new Penzey's rub??

It's very good. It has a nice smokey, white peppery smell. This was cooked a few weeks back, so that's about all I remember.

Back