quick question with blower

John Bostwick

TVWBB Wizard
Im wondering how I can keep the blower on continously instead of cycling on and off. What settings need to be changed.

Last edited:
Well, that kinda defeats the purpose of the HM, the blower needs to go off and on to maintain the pit temperature. If you just want the blower on all the time all you need is a DC power supply! :) If you lower the top speed for the fan in the HM config that will deliver less air when it is full throttle and might make the blower run a little more slow and steady. If your blower is going off a lot that means you are probably getting temperature overshoot, which means you probably need to seal up other paths for air to get to your fire or need to build a smaller fire....

I what I mean is that when the graph is saying the blower is on, lets say 100%, I'll check the blower and it will cycling on and off every few seconds. Prior versions of the HM would keep the blower on at any given % and it would just be running slower to the percentage. I used to have the UDS perfectly set and now with version 10 it is a lot harder to get a stable temp.

Edit
I used to be able to set the blower(32cfm) at a max of 30% and the .5 inch ball valve at a tad lower the 50% open and it would be rock steady. Now the 30% setting does not blow enough continuous air with it cycling on and off up to the 30%. anything higher then 30% will push to much air into the UDS and ill get a cooling effect and that in turn will give me overshoots of the set temp.

Last edited:
Are you sure you don't have a problem with the blower or blower wiring? If you put the HM into manual fan mode does it blow steady?

Im pretty sure that fan is ok as it did the same thing on a 5cfm fan I just got last week and it did it on two different hm boards

Sounds like the blower(s) aren't the problem then....

You might have to wait until Bryan gets back to see what he has to say bout this. I know he changed the way the blower is handled in that it will start out with a spiked speed and then slow down to the actual set speed in order to help the blower start to spin in the lower speed range, but I don't think that should be causing your problem, not sure if any other changes in how the blower is handled were made on V10....

Just curious, if you put the small blower (5CFM) on and set the MAX blower speed to 100% does it do the same thing? I assume your PID values haven't changed/reset with the update? I know you had it dialed in before with the ball valve etc, but if you are not getting enough air flow with the max speed set to 30% did you try opening the ball valve a bit?

If min and max are set to 100, the blower will cycle on or off over a 10 second cycle as opposed to variable speed. For example, if the blower is at 50%, it will be on for 5 seconds on full then off for 5 seconds.

Back