Quick Question: Bad Ribs???

S. Carter

I have a newbie question regarding cryo-packaged baby backs. I was prepping tonight for Sunday’s smoke (4 racks) and noticed they smelled kind of fishy. In fact, I would say they flat out stunk. I have had them in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks, but they are well within the marked “Sell By” date of July 30. Having not cooked ribs many times in the past, I wanted to see if this was common.

I really don’t want to serve any bad meat to family and friends tomorrow!!!

From Pork Rib Selection & Preparation:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When opening a Cryovac package of ribs, you may notice a slight odor. This odor is normal and should dissipate quickly. If the odor is a strong, putrid smell that does not dissipate after a few minutes, even after rinsing under cold running water, this is a sign that the meat is spoiled, and it should be returned to the store for a refund. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not too sure that dating on the package, but three weeks in the refrigerator seems excessive, in any case. Most cryovac-ed meats I purchase have a sell-or-freeze-by date about 10 days out from purchase. I've never bought anything with anywhere near a three week lead time.

I would take them back. Most of my ribs are in cryo, and I have not ever smelled what you described. I never have had them sit that long either, they just keep calling my name from the fridge!
icon_biggrin.gif

I did buy a Picnic cut on the 16th, and it has a sell by date for the 30th. Left it in the fridge since I bought it, on the WSM right now. I have seen cryopacked meat with a sell by date on them for two weeks many times. Figure from the time the butcher/package and ship, I would think the total time would be over 18 days easy 'til the sell by date comes to pass.

definitely take them back. I once detected a slightly fishy smell in some pork tenderloins I took out of cryovac. Ignoring it, I went ahead and cooked. It just got worse. The smell got worse as I cooked and I didn't even attempt to eat it.

The purveyer will likely take them back. good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was prepping tonight for Sunday’s smoke (4 racks) and noticed they smelled kind of fishy. In fact, I would say they flat out stunk. I have had them in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A long time ago, I went through a similar experience with pork that I got from the local grocery store. After having meat go bad on me a few times, I quickly decided to use the meat from that store within a day or two of purchase, no matter what the the sell by date said.

I can't eat anything that fails the nose test, no matter what anybody says.
You may want to put a real therometer in your frig, and check actual temp's vs set temp. Three weeks is a lot of time in a residential refrigerator, with all the opening of the doors and introduction of warm items.

Thanks for the response. I agreed and took them back this afternoon. Lowe’s Foods refunded our money and replaced the ribs.

They may have also been mishandled temperature-wise before you purchased them. Lots of ways meat can go bad from factory to you.

Regards,
Chris

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree with the advice to return your spoiled ribs. This was (most likely) not your vendors fault. Bone-in product does not last three weeks at home refrigerator temps - NO WAY.
The COV process depends on removing all the oxygen from the package to inhibit the growth of aerobic bacteria. With bone-in product some O2 remains in the bone, and the bone goes sour long before the meat. This is most likely what you smelled.
Unless you bought the ribs at Wally World don't stick the seller with your educational expense.

My opinion is that the seller made a labeling error. Four weeks from purchase date to sell-by date for unfrozen meat? Not where I shop. The max I have ever seen is 10-12 days from the date of purchase on cryovac.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Elliott:
Sorry, I must respectfully disagree with the advice to return your spoiled ribs. This was (most likely) not your vendors fault. Bone-in product does not last three weeks at home refrigerator temps - NO WAY.
The COV process depends on removing all the oxygen from the package to inhibit the growth of aerobic bacteria. With bone-in product some O2 remains in the bone, and the bone goes sour long before the meat. This is most likely what you smelled.
Unless you bought the ribs at Wally World don't stick the seller with your educational expense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure how this would be his fault since he was going by the date that was PRINTED on the package.
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Looking back at this entire thread, I guess you'd have to say that if the ribs had a sell by date printed on them of July 30, and if the ribs were properly refrigerated below 40*F for the entire 3 week period, and they smell putrid when opened, then you return them for a refund.

If the purchaser is not certain that the meat was maintained below 40*F, then he/she has contributed to the demise of the ribs. This could easily be the case in a home refrigerator, if not stored in a colder meat drawer or on the lowest, furthest back shelf.

The lesson here is that it might be better to freeze Cryovaced ribs if they won't be used for three weeks.

Regards,
Chris

Lesson Learned!!! I have three racks at home IN THE FREEZER!!!

As for me "sticking it to the seller," good customer service goes a long way toward earning my continued business. While I should have listened to the wife and froze the ribs initially, I went by the printed "sell by" date. Thankfully, I don't think I did too much damage to the bottom line at Lowe's Foods!!!

By overlooking my ignorance, they earned a regular customer.

Back