Quick question about brisket on the smoker as I type...

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I put a 17 lb brisket on the smoker at 7:15pm..about 2 hours ago. My first brisket. I watched "JB" say to put the probe into the thickest part of the flat and to shoot for 195* (roughly) internal temps.

At 7:15pm the internal temp was about 45*. 2 hours later the internal temp is 144*, nearly 100* higher in only 2 hours. I'm running my 22.5 currently at about 285* at the grate.

My question is this -- 2 hours seems really fast to get up 100* in temp and I wonder if I put the probe in the wrong place. I think the probe is hitting meat only and is not piercing the flat or hitting fat, but I'm not 100% certain.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all responses.

Jeff,

This is normal. The slowness will come! Gare-on-teed ;)
You will probably see at least 2 stalls (if you are not wrapping during the cook). Can be many hours in a stall.
All depends upon that particular cut of meat.
And that 195... Might want to start checking for tenderness around that temperature.

Bob

Jeff,

This is normal. The slowness will come! Gare-on-teed ;)
You will probably see at least 2 stalls (if you are not wrapping during the cook). Can be many hours in a stall.
All depends upon that particular cut of meat.
And that 195... Might want to start checking for tenderness around that temperature.

Bob

Thank you sir. I feel better already. :cool:

Okay, it's been 4 hours and I'm cooking at 280* and the internal temps are up to 169*. This does not seem right if I'm shooting for 195* internal to pull the meat.

I know the stall can last 5+ hours, but even with that kind of stall, a 17 lb brisket should not be done that fast.

Here's praying for the best and I'm heading to bed...

Night night...

I did a 12lber and it only took 7 hours at temps similar to what you are seeing.i chalked the speed up to the higher temp and the thickness of the meat. I also double check my probe thermometer with an analog dial gauge. Good luck.

UPDATE: It's 2:35am so the meat has been on for 7 hours and I'm currently running at 266* at the grate. I just hit 190* internal (!!) and so I pushed my ET-732 up to 195* and went back to bed. I did not check the meat.

I did close the vents down just a bit to lower the heat. I'm hoping the damn thing is done in the 15+ hours I was expecting and not early. I need sleep! (smile)

If I'm done early, how do I hold it? Foil wrap and towels like a Boston Butt?

If I'm done early, how do I hold it? Foil wrap and towels like a Boston Butt?
Yep, for up to 6 hours. If more, then put it in an oven set to 150-170. Hope your oven goes that low.
If holding for more than 6 hours, I wrap in HD plastic wrap first and then double foil.

When I'm not doing a low & slow overnighter for brisket, I'll run my temps similar to yours.....maybe a litter hotter, i.e., 275-300 at lid. I'll get a brisket up to 180-190 quite quickly. I ignore that. I'm looking for color--caramelly brown color, not black. This is usually 4-5 hours at that temp. I'm also only using S&P as my rub. Then, I'll wrap in butcher paper (keep temps same) for 1.5 - 2 hours. Probe for tenderness and off I go. Disclaimer: I've never done this with a brisket packer > 12 lbs. My guess is I'd have similar results, but I haven't done it to find out.

This is the end result I'm seeking:

Last edited:

Back