Quick hitter here....just a couple of success stories with paint and steel wool

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
I dont usually do quick hitters....I have a reputation for being long winded but I just wanted to get this info out in case it can help someone new or an old dog looking for a new trick. Recently I tried Krylon Fusion paint in a black satin for painting a frame. First I wiped the crud off of the frame with Simple Green and a micro fiber...once it was 7 out of 10 clean I used some pretty aggressive steel wool maybe 000 to basically scour ...etch....and clean the frame. To my surprise it made the frame look like new by removing the top thin layer of paint. I still went ahead and painted it using this Fusion paint and man o man.....it went on beautifully and the satin looks so much better than the semi gloss that I normally use. So if u guys dont use that method already give the 000 steel wool and the Fusion satin a try......I was especially happy with the coverage and how the paint laid down so nice. In addition I picked up some high heat fusion paint to resto the hood emblem.......Wow......I thing Rustoleum might be sitting on the bench for a while. I will send pics when I get some.

Jim, I probably would have hit it with the steel wool first and then a good cleaner after that. Why did you do the cleaner and then steel wool?

It was a real dirty frame....mud splatter and such......so I just did a wipe down with Simple Green to get the heavy stuff off as to not goob up the steel wool. I have used steel wool many times in the past to clean up a frame but never the coarse steel wool. Using the coarse steel wool for the frame is the ticket....and it leaves a good etching on the frame so the new paint will have something to adhere to.

#000 is not what I would call course. I think #0000 is the most fine you can normally find. I have used #0000 on frames before with some simple green and it does work real well. I usually use it when the frames are full of grease and other gunk. It probably would be a good idea to use it on all rehabs to ensure you get the frame fully cleaned up. I still like to finish it off just before painting with some 100% alcohol before I paint though to get off any residue from the steel wool and cleaner that I used.
I did find some Krylon high heat last year and tried it. It worked great. But it is hard to source around me.

I like several of the Krylon spray paints. I have found them to be more forgiving in application.

Save me a seat on the Krylon bandwagon. It’s all I use and I think the color match is extremely close to the Weber OEM.

Ya man......it goes on and lays down much better than Rustoleum High Heat.......I have made the switch!!!! Also Bruce I was tinkering in the shop today and you were right.....I used not 000 but I guess it was 0? It was very course...I saw the bag today and used it again. Also Bruce....I did " The Bruce repair " on a 1000 frame today cutting out the old cross bar and installing a new one........feels so good to do it right.

Jim, are you talking about the Krylon High heat? Or just regular?

Yah, it is nice to be able to rescue a grill frame like that. At first, it seems like a lost cause, but it really isn't that big of a job to rescue the grill frame that way.

Back