Quick Hi Temp Brisket question

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
Should the temp be 325-350 grate or lid?

I'm going to try a little 3# flat with good fat on my SJP

Wish me luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
What is that at the grate? I use a ET-73, monitor meat & grate, not usually lid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never measure grate temps, but I would assume it's at least 325-335 if I am cooking at 350 lid.

Yeah, craig is right. When I used to check the grate temps (all the time when I first got my WSM
icon_smile.gif
) there was always about a 15* difference from the lid temp to the first grate and about another 15* from the top grate to the bottom grate. That's on a normal slow cook with water in the pan, not sure if a higher heat cook would effect those numbers or not.

Rick

OK, I'll shoot for 330*F grate.

Think I can get my SJP to hold that temp for a few hours? Dang it, I don't have a hinged grate for it - it takes a slighly different size grate then an 18.5" kettle or WSM ??????

You may want to slip some foil under the brisket for a heat shield if you are using a sjp.

I've never tried cooking that in a sjp.....hmmmm

As for temps, I've gone 2-3 hours easily with lump at 325 or so. You may need to refuel at some point though.

Back